Various ways of using programs during hacks
Luminaar

Hackers:Tactics - Part 1 - The Sweeper Combo

Postby Luminaar » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:15 am

Picture the scene:
1 - Sweeper.jpg
Oooh, Shiny!
1 - Sweeper.jpg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 732 times
3 minutes. 9 Nodes. Thousands of B-coins. Millions of dollars, just begging you to claim them! And all you need to do is smash through a few Code Gates, download the Core ...

Oh, and find a way past the
tiny fragile nodes protected by those HUGE damage Security Nodes. :D
1 - Combo_Sweeper.jpg
The Sweeper Combo!
1 - Combo_Sweeper.jpg (197.23 KiB) Viewed 732 times
Try the Sweeper Combo, specifically, the ever powerful Shocker coupled with the increasingly popular Shuriken! It's the perfect 1-2 combination for taking down groups of nodes. Stun every node that's connected and WHAM, take them down with a flurry of shurikens, ninja-style! Boom, bitch!

If you're expecting the node to be recaptured, are going up against higher level Security Nodes, or you're taking lower level Shurikens to the party, simply pop a Protector down in place of a Shuriken and you'll be good to go!

Not only does this combo work against groups of Security Nodes, it's fantastic on Guardian chokepoints which have resources on all four connections as shown above. Can you say "Cha-ching!?"
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Hell_Diguner

Re: Hackers:Tactics - Part 1 - The Sweeper Combo

Postby Hell_Diguner » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:43 am

* No warranty is implied or guaranteed by these statements
** Combo may be ineffective at low program levels
Hell_Diguner - C12L34, Had C12L29 (world record), soon to be a Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C10L28, Maniac+Worms main
CaptainDavyJones - C9L21, Kraken main

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:49 am

Hell_Diguner wrote:* No warranty is implied or guaranteed by these statements
** Combo may be ineffective at low program levels
Haha, this may get added to all future posts. Maybe even in a smaller text size to make it seem more legit.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

TheLurkingRage

Postby TheLurkingRage » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 am

A video clip showing the tactic in action would be useful for most players that read up on these posts, I believe.
DEATH TO SMURFS! >:)

TheLurkingRage
Top Rank: #1 for nearly 2 months
Top Rep: 4.9k
Smurfed/minmaxed/exploited shield to reach top: Nope
Player since: Mid January
YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLurkingRage

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:23 pm

TheLurkingRage wrote:A video clip showing the tactic in action would be useful for most players that read up on these posts, I believe.
Aye, this was mentioned, and I would love to get a little GIF action going (if it's even possible to upload those here, given the lengths I have to go to to get some of the images less than 200kb), but I have minimal editing skills/tools available :P

If anyone wanted to create/upload either a video I can link to, or indeed a GIF in action, I'd be happy to include it. :)

nocturnalbamf

Postby nocturnalbamf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:43 pm

Luminaar wrote:Picture the scene:

1 - Sweeper.jpg
3 minutes. 9 Nodes. Thousands of B-coins. Millions of dollars, just begging you to claim them! And all you need to do is smash through a few Code Gates, download the Core ...

Oh, and find a way past the
tiny fragile nodes protected by those HUGE damage Security Nodes. :D

1 - Combo_Sweeper.jpg
Try the Sweeper Combo, specifically, the ever powerful Shocker coupled with the increasingly popular Shuriken! It's the perfect 1-2 combination for taking down groups of nodes. Stun every node that's connected and WHAM, take them down with a flurry of shurikens, ninja-style!

If you're expecting the node to be recaptured, are going up against higher level Security Nodes, or you're taking lower level Shurikens to the party, simply pop a Protector down in place of a Shuriken and you'll be good to go!

Not only does this combo work against groups of Security Nodes, it's fantastic on Guardian chokepoints which have resources on all four connections as shown above. Can you say "Cha-ching!?"

There are plenty more Combo posts planned for the future! Tell me what you think of this program combination. Let me know what you think of the format too! :)

I can achieve the same result with shockers, protectors and beams. While shurikens attack every node at the same time, it keeps all four active and able to attack the protector, which can overwhelm it. While the beams take down single nodes faster and reducing the overall attack keeping the protector in play.

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:48 am

After level 5 or so, Shuriken damage is basically the same as the previous level of Beams.
Beam Cannon 15: 83 DPS
____Shuriken 16: 81 DPS.

Shurikens have an extra 1.5 second delay between installation and the first projectile dealing damage to an enemy node, and since they launch a projectile every 1 second there is potentially an extra 1 second delay for the last projectile to do the last 1 point of damage needed to capture a node that Beams would have done almost instantly, but Beams have a 0.5 second delay between switching targets, so Shuriken's extra delays aren't much longer than Beam's delays.

So in the end, taking 4 nodes down at the same time with Shuriken is almost 4 times faster than taking them down one at a time with Beams. Even better - attack priorities mean nothing to Shuriken, so Shuriken directly counters beam / blaster traps that exploit attack priorities. It's surprising to me that so many people still don't realize Shurikens are way better than Beams almost a year after the game was released. I can't believe the "over-leveled Ice Wall + Beam Cannon" strategy is still popular after knowing for 10 months that Shurikens are better, and only marginally more expensive / time consuming to upgrade and compile.

---

Also, the "Sweeper Combo" is Shocker only, while you suggest using both Shocker and Protector. The program slot your Protector is installed on could have been an extra Beam or Shuriken if you had only used Shockers. Depending on how many program slots the node has, that one extra node slot with an attacking program could result in as much as 50% more damage output.

Generally speaking, it's foolish to use both Shocker and Protector on the same node. Shocker is for "going fast", and Protector is for "digging in". Three Ice Walls take up the same library space and are faster and (usually) cheaper to compile than a Shocker, so you'd be better off using Ice Walls to install a Protector.

Even worse is using Shockers to "let a Protector regenerate". Even level 21 Shocker doesn't let a Protector regenerate to full health. If you look at the effective health gained per b-coin and per library space, it's a better idea to just install a second Protector. Either that, or exclusively use Shockers on that node if it's being targeted by enough damage to break a Protector.
Hell_Diguner - C12L34, Had C12L29 (world record), soon to be a Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C10L28, Maniac+Worms main
CaptainDavyJones - C9L21, Kraken main

nocturnalbamf

Postby nocturnalbamf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:36 pm

I don't always throw a protector down after the shocker. Usually I ice wall and shocker and then delete the wall for the extra space.

The only thing that makes the shuriken better is that last delay, for min maxers retaking a node that delay causes damage imediately giving their node only half the firewall it should have. Either way, I find beams amazing. I tried shurikens once and they didn't work fast enough. Bottom line though, if you have decent protector (lv14 from what I seen) doesn't matter if you have max sentry, the protector completely negates it and then some.So beam, or shuriken, higher level protector or shockers makes them both useful.

Have you seen anyone utilizing both, or Hybrids? I've had 2 visit me, and they seem to be on to something. They got some resources from me but didn't succeed on any 3 fronts.

TheLurkingRage

Postby TheLurkingRage » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 pm

nocturnalbamf wrote:Have you seen anyone utilizing both, or Hybrids? I've had 2 visit me, and they seem to be on to something. They got some resources from me but didn't succeed on any 3 fronts.

I'm a hybrid. I got both Beams 21 and Shurikens 21. Shurikens are far superior to beams overall. Only situations beams are better are 1v1 node fights.
DEATH TO SMURFS! >:)

TheLurkingRage
Top Rank: #1 for nearly 2 months
Top Rep: 4.9k
Smurfed/minmaxed/exploited shield to reach top: Nope
Player since: Mid January
YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLurkingRage

nocturnalbamf

Postby nocturnalbamf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:01 am

TheLurkingRage wrote:I'm a hybrid. I got both Beams 21 and Shurikens 21. Shurikens are far superior to beams overall. Only situations beams are better are 1v1 node fights.

I wouldn't call an end gamer a hybrid, and I just had someone fail my network using tons of shurikens so from what I witness, they don't seem to be "superior". The only success against my network has been beam strategies.