Stealth Attacks

Various ways of using programs during hacks
Fantöm

Stealth Attacks

Postby Fantöm » Sun May 08, 2016 2:40 pm

Hey guys,
I'm new to this game, and I wanted to know how to do a stealth attack. I've unlocked the Access virus and I want to know how to do a stealth attack. Can you actually do a stealth attack the whole way? Because I used 3 Access, I reached about the middle of the network and I couldn't deploy my troops (the data leech ones). Anyone has already done a full stealthy attack?
Away until (at least end June but maybe) mid July, so hack me :D and leave a message :)
EDIT : I am actually leaving this Beta, good luck for the devs and have fun hacking!

Vinter

Re: Stealth Attacks

Postby Vinter » Sun May 08, 2016 2:54 pm

I think full stealth attacks are unlikely, usually you use access + portal to get past some defenses and brute force the network from a weak point.
Its unlikely because;
a)You need access to the entire arsenal of stealth programs especially portal(I myself am nowhere close) which takes a while to get.
b)You would need some offensive programs anyway to take down surrounding nodes.

Fantöm

Postby Fantöm » Sun May 08, 2016 3:09 pm

Added to this the fact it goes quite quick... I already used one to snipe the core, but that was really hard. I will stay with the basic attack (one worm, a few walls and cannons) unless someone more experienced knows how to use stealthy attacks :)
Away until (at least end June but maybe) mid July, so hack me :D and leave a message :)
EDIT : I am actually leaving this Beta, good luck for the devs and have fun hacking!

Trickster
Site Admin

Postby Trickster » Sun May 08, 2016 5:58 pm

We did some tweaks to that today. You may try it now and let us know how it feels to play stealth.

Fantöm

Postby Fantöm » Sun May 08, 2016 9:27 pm

Trickster wrote:We did some tweaks to that today. You may try it now and let us know how it feels to play stealth.

I have to say, it's better! I just stealthily raided someone just with this.
Another thing for stealthy attacks, as well as general gameplay: will it be possible at one point to see when B-coin storages are full and empty? Because it's always the same picture whether it's filled up or not.

Trickster
Site Admin

Postby Trickster » Sun May 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Fantöm wrote: will it be possible at one point to see when B-coin storages are full and empty? Because it's always the same picture whether it's filled up or not.

Yes, it is on our TODO list for sure, not a priority yet though.

Fantöm

Postby Fantöm » Sun May 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Nice.

For those who wonder or/and want to try stealthy raids, I can give you a quick tip: be quick!

Why? Because in this game there is a feature called Visibility. If I remember well, you have a total of 3000 Visibility (correct me if I'm wrong). Once you started your stealthy attack, you will see a bar filling up, increasing quite quickly (from 0 to 3000). This is the Visibility bar. If it reaches the maximum, you are detected and cannot do anymore stealthy attack.

But you may remember in your library, if you've unlocked the Stealthy hacks (the branch containing Leech, Access, etc.) you may see that they have Visibility points. Well, not only your Visibility increases all by itself when you start to be sneaky, it also increases when you put down some of these hacks.
Let's say you have put 5 Accesses and 3 Leeches (which only work ON mines, storages and Core ; nowhere else) at the first level, you will get 150*5 and 26*3 = 828 Visibility. So if you don't put down anything else, you would have 2172 Visibility left. That's enough for a few more stealthy hacks ;) but that's not that easy. Well the thing is that you will more likely be closer to 1900 left because for all these hacks to be pulled up, you had to wait 8 seconds (1 per Access and 1 per Leech), and the time flies away pretty quickly...

Stealthy attacks are hard to use to get a victory, but it's a fun way to attack. One last tip : if it happens you use any hack that isn't stealthy, the sneaky attack will immediately end. Finally, if you run out of Visibility, even if you had some Leeches downloading ressources or destroying the Core, they will disappear.

To the developpers, I hope the Visibility will increase when you level your Core to a higher level, as it will get tougher to do sneaky attack.

Fantöm

Postby Fantöm » Mon May 09, 2016 10:32 am

Also, I know that the core reduces the Visibility a certain amount per second (which is what makes the bar increase during a stealth attack). But if you conquer the Core and assuming the network you attack has no Scanner, why does the bar increase? Is it a bug or something, because no other building than the core or the scanner (at my level) has the ability to increase my Visibility bar.

Trickster
Site Admin

Postby Trickster » Mon May 09, 2016 10:40 am

The total Visibility buffer is actually 3600.

When the Core is conquered the network still has its ability to detect intruders. We just wanted to mention "Stealth detection" somewhere and we decided the Core is the best place.

Fantöm

Postby Fantöm » Mon May 09, 2016 8:45 pm

So it means that you don't get to stop completely the Visibility bar?