Any tips for new players?

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
fozza

Any tips for new players?

Postby fozza » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:15 am

I thought there should be the obligatory tips and tricks thread for newcomers to Hackers.

If anybody has some tips please post them here, thank you :D
Check out my website! http://fozzaco.com

SomeLaser

Re: Any tips for new players?

Postby SomeLaser » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:19 am

Make sure your base has a good layout is and its thought out thoroughly. :ugeek:

fozza

Postby fozza » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:21 am

SomeLaser wrote:Make sure your base has a good layout is and its thought out thoroughly. :ugeek:

How would someone know what the difference between a good and bad layout is? (thx for the tip btw)
Check out my website! http://fozzaco.com

QUROX

Postby QUROX » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi Fozza,

The number one tip I can give new players is: DON'T SPEND YOUR CREDITS ON ANYTHING EXCEPT BUILDING THREADS!!!

I just made a new thread in hacking strategies regarding this issue, then I realised you already made one, so I shall transfer my post over to here.

When I first started playing HACKERS, I found it very difficult to work out effective hacking strategies. I looked around online, but found very little information, as the game is still new.

Using my level 8, nearly maxed core level 2 account, I believe I have come across an effective strategy for beginner players pure derivatives of trial and error. And it is in this thread that I plan to share them in an effort to shorten the learning curve for beginner hackers:

The most important thing to do when preparing for a hack is scouting (You have a brief window to scout before you have to commit to a hack in which you can disconnect and then reconnect to renew the scout timer. You can do this as many times as is necessary to plan a hack, alternatively you could take screenshot and plan from the photo)

Here are some things to take into account when scouting a base to hack, bearing in mind that at this stage in the game you have 3 available viruses: The Beam Cannon(offence - 1 space), The Shuriken (offence - 1 space) and The Ice Wall (defence - 2 space). And 25 disk space (If you do not, it will take you a few days max to get them):

- Have they used all the connections on their sentry nodes or placed them next to one another? (If so, their antivirus will spread more slowly)

- Is their base a long snake design? (if so, Beam Cannons will be able to take their base as a level 1 beam cannon will take out an antivirus node before the hacked node gets destroyed by the antivirus, so you can just run up the snake)

- Do they have turrets? (If so, bringing an ice shield is imperative to your success, as a level 2 turret will destroy a node with 3 level 1 Beam Cannons installed)

- Does their base have LOTs of connections (if so, your best approach is the Shuriken/Ice Wall hack. Shurikens do little damage, but attack all the connected nodes at once. When protected by an Ice Wall, 2 Shurikens can happily destroy two turrets and an antivirus block in a matter of seconds)

- How far from their netConnections are their sentries? (If they are a beginner player, they will often have netConnections connected or a node away from their sentries, in which case a full frontal charge is best to destroy the sentries and prevent the antivirus from spreading)

- Where are there resource nodes and core? (This is important for the player wishing to advance his/her game, as resources and reputation - gained from a successful hack - should be your main incentives for hacking. If you are not sure if you can completely hack a base, ensure you install your viruses in a way that will either get you the core and protect it for long enough to download it, or get you resources.)

These in my opinion are the main things to look for if you have time and can be bothered doing a proper scout (feel free to add recommendation in the comments and I will update my list).

I often cannot be bothered to properly scout out a base, so I have also put together a 'Do it all' setup, for beginner players wishing to hack quickly and effectively without spending precious time scouting out a base.

The 'Do it all' virus composition goes as follows (as previously mentioned, I am assuming you have 25
disk space and the first three available programs. If not, you will get these within few days of playing):

- 2 Ice Walls (This is taking into account that your opponent may have one turret and one node that will be attacked by antivirus from 3 or more other nodes. Let the node you wish to protect get hit once or twice before you install the ice wall, as nodes will regenerate when protected) #note# It is tempting to bring more then 2 ice walls, as they are one of the most useful turrets in the early game, but they take up 2 disk space and you will often find yourself in full control of the base (no antivirus left) but without enough offensive viruses to finish the hack successfully. So unless you scout the base and decide you need more then 2 Ice Walls, it is best to stick with 2.

- 3 Shurikens (This is for those infected nodes, perhaps surrounded by a turret and 3 antivirus nodes if they have 4 connections , that you need to infect quickly. Using an Ice Wall to protect your node and then installing 2 or 3 Shurikens is extremely effective for these situations)

- 18 Beam Cannons (These make up the brunt of your 'army'. One of these will infect an antivirus node before your infected node gets retaken. Unless you are going for a full frontal assault on a sentry or turret - in which case you will need and Ice Wall -, use only 1 Beam cannon, as you will need as many as possible to clean up after you have taken control. If you have a few left over, then you will be able to attack again sooner too :) .)

And so concludes my rough guide for the beginner hacker!

Feel free to make suggestions and I will happily add them into the main article.

NOTE: I apologise in advance for mistakes I may have made in the text. I have not yet edited it due to lack of time, but I will in the near future. I also have several other things to add at a later date.

WtpK14

Postby WtpK14 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:11 am

how do you upgrade disk space?

Alpha-Killer

Postby Alpha-Killer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:08 am

WtpK14 wrote:how do you upgrade disk space?

Upgrade your program library and/or buy a new program library if available.
Alpha-Killer
Level 40+ 8-)
Happy Hacking!

Armageddon

Postby Armageddon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Rush your B-Coin mine
My in game name is Armageddon

samgyeop

Postby samgyeop » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:40 am

This is all tips to new players and this is what I've realized after reaching 1k rep. Reaching a high rep is just for bragging rights, I'm currently level 25 almost 26 and literally was on for 4 hours to push from 850 to 1000 waiting for my virus to compile just to buy the gold node and background skin. If you're the type of player that:
1) uses cash and fills your storage by using cash and dont care about others hacking you then push with all means
2) uses cash and instantly upgraded everything by "quadruple" the average player then at the moment 1k rep will seem easy

Being around in the 700 rep I see less players with significant amount of loot compared to 400-600 rep searches. If you're the type of player that likes to farm, farm between 400-600 once you reach core 5-7.

If you're the type of player that likes to farm, then construct a base where "Core" is close to your next connection so enemy attackers dont get a "free pass to loot" using kraken. Have them actually work for it using beams, walls, etc.

I've read what Alpha-Killer has posted, my advice is to follow his advice and rush to core 7 and upgrade the gold / b miners as soon as possible. That will surely at least solve some problems where people are lacking resources to upgrade virus / buildings.

***This game allows you to hack other players multiple times, this aint no CLASH OF CLANS so you will get NO shield. If you push to a high rep, and if you also happen to be a target to other players because you have a lot of loot, you will LITERALLY be hacked 3-7 times or more. I've done that before and the players that I've hacked probably went from almost full storage down to 10% storage with me looting almost 12k b-coins and 400k gold from a single player just from searching for the same person and re-attacking over and over. If you decide to push to a high rep, push for a reason, if not because there is no shield in this game it is pointless.

-Sulti

M1st3rR0b0t

Postby M1st3rR0b0t » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:02 am

1. ScreenShot your targets network.
2. NEVER compile programs before knowing what youre up against. Play it ou in your head first as many times as possible with as many different options as possible (like a cpu in a chess game set at master difficulty) think. Then attack.

3. Have specific targets for hacks you sont always need the core. Remember you need resources to advance.

4. Get used to waiting in the long run. (its worth it)

Vnasty

Postby Vnasty » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:29 am

M1st3rR0b0t wrote:1. ScreenShot your targets network.
2. NEVER compile programs before knowing what youre up against. Play it ou in your head first as many times as possible with as many different options as possible (like a cpu in a chess game set at master difficulty) think. Then attack.

3. Have specific targets for hacks you sont always need the core. Remember you need resources to advance.

4. Get used to waiting in the long run. (its worth it)

This so much. Also bum hunt. Find weak systems with either large cash or large bit coins. Rep dosent build your empire. Resources do. Early game is a struggle. It pays out in the fun department once you get to mid late game, not sure what endgame is like. Someday..