Wiki Translation Mission!

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
minhducsun2002

Vietnamese maintainer here.

Postby minhducsun2002 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:49 pm

For anyone who uses the Vietnamese version : use the English version instead.
Currently I'm editing lots of pages, so there maybe many broken links. Please use Google Translate or alternatives.

Contribute at your will.
[111um1n4 - 61ph3r]
In game as

Code: Select all

CipherAllies1123

Luminaar

Re: Vietnamese maintainer here.

Postby Luminaar » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:40 pm

minhducsun2002 wrote:For anyone who uses the Vietnamese version : use the English version instead.
Currently I'm editing lots of pages, so there maybe many broken links. Please use Google Translate or alternatives.
Looking forward to seeing this section of the Wiki tweaked into shape!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

minhducsun2002

Lots of work to do, but nothing is impossible.

Postby minhducsun2002 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Luminaar wrote:
minhducsun2002 wrote:For anyone who uses the Vietnamese version : use the English version instead.
Looking forward to seeing this section of the Wiki tweaked into shape!

Well yeah, still lots of work to do, especially with broken links. I think this will take long, maybe for months.
Anyway, as a long-time player, this is something I can do to give back to the developers and the community.
Screenshot_2018-09-28_23-46-03.png
Screenshot_2018-09-28_23-46-03.png (16.9 KiB) Viewed 353 times

P/s : The Vietnamese Front page is now done. Someone please checks out if I should fix anything.
[111um1n4 - 61ph3r]
In game as

CipherAllies1123

Luminaar

Re: Lots of work to do, but nothing is impossible.

Postby Luminaar » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:08 pm

minhducsun2002 wrote:Well yeah, still lots of work to do, especially with broken links. I think this will take long, maybe for months.
Anyway, as a long-time player, this is something I can do to give back to the developers and the community.
Haha, it's true. The Wiki has been 2 years worth of "labour of love" for myself, and I do remember the first Vietnamese submissions - they were really, really rough, but I was happy to help! The initial pages were created and the content copied over, but you can see from the page histories that they were in bad shape to start with!

I'll be sure to drop in and help out where possible, checking links and such. Thanks for the good karma :D
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

minhducsun2002

Postby minhducsun2002 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:50 am

Luminaar wrote:
minhducsun2002 wrote:Well yeah, still lots of work to do, especially with broken links. I think this will take long, maybe for months.
Haha, it's true. The Wiki has been 2 years worth of "labour of love" for myself, and I do remember the first Vietnamese submissions - they were really, really rough, but I was happy to help! The initial pages were created and the content copied over, but you can see from the page histories that they were in bad shape to start with!

Well, sure they were really rough - I had to rename lots of pages, due to their unnatural Vietnamese names. Also, Vietnamese pages had links to the English version - which wasn't nice. Also a reason to rename pages properly and then re-link.
Anyway, it's glad that you were there to provide us with proper English page, so that translators like us don't have to re-write all stuffs from scratch - and potentially make translates of a single page conflicts with each other.

For a internationalized and localized Wiki!
[111um1n4 - 61ph3r]
In game as

CipherAllies1123

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:06 pm

minhducsun2002 wrote:Well, sure they were really rough - I had to rename lots of pages, due to their unnatural Vietnamese names. Also, Vietnamese pages had links to the English version - which wasn't nice. Also a reason to rename pages properly and then re-link.
Anyway, it's glad that you were there to provide us with proper English page, so that translators like us don't have to re-write all stuffs from scratch - and potentially make translates of a single page conflicts with each other.

For a internationalized and localized Wiki!
For the most part, each language has their own navigation headers/footers (to enable quick linking to other Vietnamese pages), as well as their own category (for finding ALL pages that are in - or need translating to - Vietnamese.) I see you've found some of the templates however :D The list of everything that is currently marked can be found here. :)

The contents of the articles themselves are all copies of, what was, the latest available version of the page at that time. While this copy does mean that translators don't have to rewrite whole articles, the original links will point to English pages as that's what the source article pointed to. :P Depending on when the pages were last updated, there may have been a LOT of changes to the source page. New tables, updated info, and lots of optimization for mobile and data usage. :D

If you haven't already, you may wish to update/copy the code from the latest English pages first, as there were some sizeable changes over the years. Feel free to make as many renames as you feel necessary - we can always remove redirects at a later date :D

minhducsun2002

Postby minhducsun2002 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:00 pm

Luminaar wrote:For the most part, each language has their own navigation headers/footers (to enable quick linking to other Vietnamese pages), as well as their own category (for finding ALL pages that are in - or need translating to - Vietnamese.) I see you've found some of the templates however :D The list of everything that is currently marked can be found here. :)

Yeah, I've found all pages that require translation (in fact, I got Action Throttled due to massive renaming :D). Editing templates is kinda pain - especially for infoboxes where I had to dig through a bunch of mostly unformatted HTML code :cry:

Also, is that you were the person who rename all pages to their respective Vietnamese translation? That was good work to do. Still, I had to correct lots of improper capitalization. :D

Luminaar wrote:The contents of the articles themselves are all copies of, what was, the latest available version of the page at that time. While this copy does mean that translators don't have to rewrite whole articles, the original links will point to English pages as that's what the source article pointed to. :P Depending on when the pages were last updated, there may have been a LOT of changes to the source page. New tables, updated info, and lots of optimization for mobile and data usage. :D

Well, moving links to English pages to Vietnamese pages is also tedious work to do. And yes, I had to add some new info :D Reputation limit for skins, and Core level 13... Hang on, are the AIs missing? Oh well, gotta copy it someday.

If you haven't already, you may wish to update/copy the code from the latest English pages first, as there were some sizeable changes over the years. Feel free to make as many renames as you feel necessary - we can always remove redirects at a later date :D

Well, some pages already had been fully translated - though sometimes I had to rewrite all things based on the English version (a large screen is good when you have to split it :D). So far, for each page that I myself think to be completed, I compare it side-by-side with it respective English version.
Anyway, I hope you've got someone there that can understand Vietnamese properly - I finished the Front page and the netConnection page.

P/S : you removed the "Translation Required" category for the Front page? Yayyy! :D
-- P/S : Completed the translation for the ICE Wall.
---- P/S : Can you copy the AI pages for me? Just copy, I'll do the rest.
[111um1n4 - 61ph3r]
In game as

CipherAllies1123

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:23 pm

minhducsun2002 wrote:Also, is that you were the person who rename all pages to their respective Vietnamese translation? That was good work to do. Still, I had to correct lots of improper capitalization. :D
My knowledge of other languages is pretty poor, and required help from lots of other translators. :D I created the pages, but all translations have been kindly provided by the community.
minhducsun2002 wrote:Well, moving links to English pages to Vietnamese pages is also tedious work to do. And yes, I had to add some new info :D Reputation limit for skins, and Core level 13... Hang on, are the AIs missing? Oh well, gotta copy it someday.
Yeah, the articles and subheaders don't always exist at the time the translation is completed, especially at the start of the process. :) Translations first, and then link clean up afterwards is a decent way to do it - saves a lot of hassle. And yup, the AI pages will also need adding - currently, only English and Chinese have them.
minhducsun2002 wrote:Well, some pages already had been fully translated - though sometimes I had to rewrite all things based on the English version (a large screen is good when you have to split it :D). So far, for each page that I myself think to be completed, I compare it side-by-side with it respective English version.
Some translations were previously supplied, and not every single page needing changing after the UI update - only ~15 of them. I think each language has ~65 article pages, +templates. And yeah, doing this on a phone would be a nightmare! Large screens which display lots of info at one time are a necessity for me too :P
minhducsun2002 wrote:Can you copy the AI pages for me? Just copy, I'll do the rest.
Sure thing - rename them as you see fit. :) A.I. Nodes - A.I. Infobox - A.I. Beetle - A.I. Hawk - A.I. Squid - A.I. Programs

minhducsun2002

Postby minhducsun2002 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Luminaar wrote:My knowledge of other languages is pretty poor, and required help from lots of other translators. :D I created the pages, but all translations have been kindly provided by the community.

They seriously look as if copy-pasted from Google Translate :D . Which is annoying, due to its unnatural capitalization.

Luminaar wrote:Yeah, the articles and subheaders don't always exist at the time the translation is completed, especially at the start of the process. :) Translations first, and then link clean up afterwards is a decent way to do it - saves a lot of hassle. And yup, the AI pages will also need adding - currently, only English and Chinese have them.

I rename pages and headers as I translate - well, more work, but it fits me since my long-term memory isn't good. :D

Luminaar wrote:Some translations were previously supplied, and not every single page needing changing after the UI update - only ~15 of them. I think each language has ~65 article pages, +templates. And yeah, doing this on a phone would be a nightmare! Large screens which display lots of info at one time are a necessity for me too :P

At the time I started translating, there were only translations for the Front and the netConnection page - which is also seriously rough and difficult to understand, compared to their respective English counterpart. And yes, as you say, most pages only require translation - unless it also needs some modifying to the template.

About phones... I once tried to plug in a keyboard to type, and well, on a 5-inches screen with just HD resolution, it was a real nightmare - you had to zoom out to see if the layout works, but zooming out makes the text unreadable :x . Using a tablet was a little better. Nevertheless, now I just use my laptop to translate and keep my tablet for cross-checking when I don't have a TV around.

Luminaar wrote:
minhducsun2002 wrote:Can you copy the AI pages for me? Just copy, I'll do the rest.
Sure thing - rename them as you see fit. :) A.I. Nodes - A.I. Infobox - A.I. Beetle - A.I. Hawk - A.I. Squid - A.I. Programs

Thank you very much. Of course, it must be renamed - Vietnamese doesn't accept abbreviations as easy as English :lol: .
[111um1n4 - 61ph3r]
In game as

CipherAllies1123

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:40 pm

minhducsun2002 wrote:They seriously look as if copy-pasted from Google Translate :D Which is annoying, due to its unnatural capitalization.
If the capitalization of the article names are poor, that's my doing - sorry! The remaining languages were done in the same way, but I will have been wrong ot assume it's acceptable for every language. As for the article translations themselves, it wouldn't surprise me if they were Googled ... you can look through the page histories and see how bad the articles were :P I salvaged what you see now from the original texts.
minhducsun2002 wrote:most pages only require translation - unless it also needs some modifying to the template.
There will be a few template modifications required, such as the infoboxes and footers. I can help with the footers, once you've changed all the page names. I'll remove any duplicates and redirects, and have things pointing to the correct place. There were a few pages that needed more than translations however - the Black Market and Resources pages had a large overhaul if I remember. The table from the spreadsheet link at the start of this topic explains it, and helps me keep track on page names and changes etc.
minhducsun2002 wrote:Thank you very much. Of course, it must be renamed - Vietnamese doesn't accept abbreviations as easy as English :lol: .
Do whatever you need :D I'll use these new names to edit the footer and flag templates at a later date. :)