What do you like and dislike about Hackers?

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Hickman

Re: What do you like and dislike about Hackers?

Postby Hickman » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:26 pm

One thing that is sort of ruining the game for me is that if you connect to a user to check them out before you hack them, and then disconnect, no matter what the timer is on, if your wifi lags or goes out (which seems to happen every other time I check someone out), the game says you attempted to hack them, except, of course you didn't.
In the hack log there is no replay or programs used and is really beginning to ruin my enjoyment of this game as it has caused me to lose at least 100 rep, most likely more.

Would it be possible to make it so that if you don't place any programs it doesn't hack? Because if you switch off of the program to a different app, the timer just pauses, rather than starting the hack and then immediately ending?

HCX - DReaD

Postby HCX - DReaD » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:39 am

Hickman wrote:One thing that is sort of ruining the game for me is that if you connect to a user to check them out before you hack them, and then disconnect, no matter what the timer is on, if your wifi lags or goes out (which seems to happen every other time I check someone out), the game says you attempted to hack them, except, of course you didn't.
In the hack log there is no replay or programs used and is really beginning to ruin my enjoyment of this game as it has caused me to lose at least 100 rep, most likely more.

Would it be possible to make it so that if you don't place any programs it doesn't hack? Because if you switch off of the program to a different app, the timer just pauses, rather than starting the hack and then immediately ending?

Probably a better way to fix this is to prevent going into Hack Mode once the timer runs out. Instead it will kick you out to your Home screen.
That would fix the nightmares of those who have unstable internet connection.

Also maybe make it so that if you wait too long to the point of timer runs out and you get kicked, that particular player that you're viewing will be gone from the world list. (So the punishment of viewing too long is losing the target, instead of forcefully put into Hack Mode)

TheLurkingRage

Postby TheLurkingRage » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:27 am

HCX - DReaD wrote:
Hickman wrote:One thing that is sort of ruining the game for me is that if you connect to a user to check them out before you hack them, and then disconnect, no matter what the timer is on, if your wifi lags or goes out (which seems to happen every other time I check someone out), the game says you attempted to hack them, except, of course you didn't.

Probably a better way to fix this is to prevent going into Hack Mode once the timer runs out. Instead it will kick you out to your Home screen.
That would fix the nightmares of those who have unstable internet connection.

Also maybe make it so that if you wait too long to the point of timer runs out and you get kicked, that particular player that you're viewing will be gone from the world list. (So the punishment of viewing too long is losing the target, instead of forcefully put into Hack Mode)

Yes, and the best way to void this is simply taking a screenshot and coming back to the target. I like your suggestion to make the target disappear from the world map if you wait for the timer to run out without taking away your rep. Only thing I would add is to not being able to find the target until 3 hours later just as if you'd attacked them.
DEATH TO SMURFS! >:)

TheLurkingRage
Top Rank: #1 for nearly 2 months
Top Rep: 4.9k
Smurfed/minmaxed/exploited shield to reach top: Nope
Player since: Mid January
YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLurkingRage

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:57 pm

Hickman wrote:Would it be possible to make it so that if you don't place any programs it doesn't hack?
HCX - DReaD wrote:Probably a better way to fix this is to prevent going into Hack Mode once the timer runs out. Instead it will kick you out to your Home screen. Also that particular player that you're viewing will be gone from the world list.
While I'm sure it's technically possible, this leads to (probably) worse problems. The first being, if there's a connection delay between player and server, then a player could also start and complete a hack which the server has already timed out!
* Current version - player loses normal amount of rep, programs/resources stay the same.
* New version - player "doesn't gain" the rep for a successful hack, "doesn't gain" resources.

The second issue is minor, but this would also force players to start an attack before zero, else they lose the target.
* Current version - time expires, player can still continue if they haven't disconnected
* New version - time expires, player is kicked out

Technically, there may be an issue with stealth here too - A wraith/portal in progress *has* to be removed before the hack starts if visibility reaches 3600 first. (Reaching 3600, starting then hack *then* removing the program has a delay and could make the difference between a successful install or not.) Removing all Stealth programs before the hack equates to "no programs when the hack starts. Probably a way around this ofc, but I thought I'd just throw that in there.

The third is simply story/immersion. The design is that, if you overstay your welcome, you're open to be retraced. Auto-disconnecting would prevent that from ever happening. (For better and for worse.) There's also increased tension/excitement that comes from the hack starting when the timer runs out. While this effect wears off as the game goes along, it's definitely a factor in the early game.
TheLurkingRage wrote:Only thing I would add is to not being able to find the target until 3 hours later just as if you'd attacked them.
Not gonna happen ;) Attacks which don't trigger a win condition can be found on subsequent searches - this is no different. (I know what you're up to here ;) )
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

HCX - DReaD

Postby HCX - DReaD » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:08 pm

So I guess if you actually have THAT much of connection lag, it's just overall better to just uninstall the game or find a better connection..?

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:55 pm

HCX - DReaD wrote:So I guess if you actually have THAT much of connection lag, it's just overall better to just uninstall the game or find a better connection..?
The game itself does a huge amount with regards to enabling players to continue during disconnections, accept incoming calls etc. Some of the reconnections available are longer than the countdown timer ;) The point at which issues are occuring for players is during the countdown however, and like most things, there's no one-size-fits-all solution. Add extra time and players will still wait till the last second. :P Add a "fake" 10 seconds for the system to check and it slows down the game for everyone etc.

While it is a recognised issue for players, the number of these occurences in contrast to the number of successful hacks is relatively small. The team are aware of it however, and are happy to implement a solution which they believe would benefit everyone.

In the short term, taking a screenshot or two then planning your attack is by far the safest method. Not ideal with regards to gameplay immersion, but effective nonetheless if players are suffering from disconnects not being sent in time.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Mchief

Postby Mchief » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Luminaar wrote:
HCX - DReaD wrote:So I guess if you actually have THAT much of connection lag, it's just overall better to just uninstall the game or find a better connection..?
The game itself does a huge amount with regards to enabling players to continue during disconnections, accept incoming calls etc. Some of the reconnections available are longer than the countdown timer ;) The point at which issues are occuring for players is during the countdown however, and like most things, there's no one-size-fits-all solution. Add extra time and players will still wait till the last second. :P Add a "fake" 10 seconds for the system to check and it slows down the game for everyone etc.

While it is a recognised issue for players, the number of these occurences in contrast to the number of successful hacks is relatively small. The team are aware of it however, and are happy to implement a solution which they believe would benefit everyone.

In the short term, taking a screenshot or two then planning your attack is by far the safest method. Not ideal with regards to gameplay immersion, but effective nonetheless if players are suffering from disconnects not being sent in time.

The problem at least to me is the fact that we have a countdown timer to begin with, which seems to force people to either keep cycling in and out of the network or use there screen snap function.

Easy fix , when you connect to another network you get a snapshot of it in it's current state with no timer that you can view it as long as you want, then you can click the disconnect button ( default action if you time out) or attack which gives you a 5 second count down before the fun begins, hitting access during this 5 seconds starts a stealth hack.

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:52 am

Mchief wrote:Easy fix , when you connect to another network you get a snapshot of it in it's current state with no timer that you can view it as long as you want, then you can click the disconnect button ( default action if you time out) or attack which gives you a 5 second count down before the fun begins, hitting access during this 5 seconds starts a stealth hack.
The issue here is that, for as long as a player is connected to the network, the owner of the network is prevented from logging in. (This prevents things such as the defender spending the resources before the attacker can loot them, or the attacker looting resources that are already spent!)

An unscrupulous player would be able to lock a defender out of their network indefinitely, by remaining connected for "as long as they want".

Alfatrion

Postby Alfatrion » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:04 pm

I think it is viable to show an "screenshot" as an option. The attacker can choose to lock the owner out and from there the timeout of 30s starts or just scout the network without an timeout and without locking the owner out.

crack

Postby crack » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Part of the gaming experience is logging in and not knowing, all under pressure, must act fast lose the hack or the chance to get what u want, it's nice and not, both at the same time.
Neither of these!!! Pay 2 Win /Smurf /Minmaxer :shock: Definitely these!!! 0$ dude/ TP/ RHG/Play by the ROE/Friendly/& an ass *donkey) lol