What does the Sentry Strength DPS on the Wiki mean?

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
zqx

What does the Sentry Strength DPS on the Wiki mean?

Postby zqx » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:44 am

Hey Trickster Arts,

I've enjoyed Hackers for a few months now. I've searched and read most of the the Wiki page and forums to better understand how the game works and the best strategies. Despite the Wiki being pretty vague and unclear about certain things (even just defining terminology), I've figured out most of it. What I haven't figured out is why the Sentry (a defensive node) has a "Strength DPS" stat on the Wiki. By my understanding it has a firewall which can be depleted by brute force that regenerates. It also offensively sends pulses of AV that secure adjacent nodes and then wipes out the programs on the secured node after so many pulses. I haven't been able to correlate this stat to either one of those features. What does the "Strength (Damage per sec)" stat mean and how is it used in the play of the game?

Luminaar

Re: What does the Sentry Strength DPS on the Wiki mean?

Postby Luminaar » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:21 pm

zqx wrote:Despite the Wiki being pretty vague and unclear about certain things (even just defining terminology)
A-ya, right in the feels! We've tried to keep the terms used on the wiki to be the same as the terms used in-game, to help transition between the two. Stats that are displayed as "strength" in-game are generally supplied as "Strength (DPS)" on the wiki, with an additional "Damage per hit" statistic for anything that doesn't have an attack frequency of 1 second (although I added it to the Shuriken for consistency), as all strength stats across the game imply "an amount of damage done every second."
zqx wrote:By my understanding it has a firewall which can be depleted by brute force that regenerates. It also offensively sends pulses of AV that secure adjacent nodes and then wipes out the programs on the secured node after so many pulses. I haven't been able to correlate this stat to either one of those features. What does the "Strength (Damage per sec)" stat mean and how is it used in the play of the game?
The AV pulses attack the firewall of adjacent nodes. Once the node has been reduced to zero firewall, the node is recaptured by the network and the programs installed on the node are removed.

The AV pulses themselves damage the adjacent firewalls at varying values based on the level of the Sentry. The "Strength (Damage per sec)" stat is the amount of damage that the antivirus from that Sentry will do to adjacent nodes each second. As Sentry pulses fire once every second, the strength is equal to the damage each it deals on each pulse.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

zqx

Postby zqx » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks for replying, Luminaar.

What I think I hear you saying, which I did not find in the wiki, is that once a node is captured, it has a full firewall again working for the attacker that has to be overcome by the defending security nodes using the DPS stat, correct? (Or maybe the way to look at it, instead of DPS by the security nodes, it is regeneration per second, rebuilding a firewall from zero to full, helped a bit by the regeneration of the node itself.) The AV install time (seconds or pulses) only applies to uncaptured nodes. This changes my network building and attack strategies. I hope someone will post a timing calc to the forum, like the stealth visibility calc, that explains how long it takes to capture (against AV and non-AV nodes) and then regenerate and/or recapture nodes. Now I see how the min/maxers are making it so hard to attack a level 1 node guarded by high level turrets and sentries....

I didn't mean to seem unappreciative of the wiki. It is just missing some key details that would have helped me plan my network and defense/attack strategy better from the beginning instead of figuring it out several levels into the game.

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 pm

zqx wrote:What I think I hear you saying, which I did not find in the wiki, is that once a node is captured, it has a full firewall again working for the attacker that has to be overcome by the defending security nodes using the DPS stat, correct? (Or maybe the way to look at it, instead of DPS by the security nodes, it is regeneration per second, rebuilding a firewall from zero to full, helped a bit by the regeneration of the node itself.)
When a node is captured, the firewall value of the node is returned to 100%, and the defending network then has to recapture it using the nodes that are connected. The node regeneration is "working for the attacker" at this point, so while rebuilding from zero sounds cool, the regeneration is counterproductive to restoring the node once captured. Also, just to clarify, it's just the firewall value that the network has to overcome - the player doesn't get to capture the Turret or Black ICE aspect of the node.
zqx wrote:The AV install time (seconds or pulses) only applies to uncaptured nodes.
Yep, the wiki has additional details that aren't provided in-game, relating to the amount of time it takes for the AV to actually install. While there will most definitely be an exact number "behind the scenes", the info provided by the wiki only takes submitted observations into account.
zqx wrote:Now I see how the min/maxers are making it so hard to attack a level 1 node guarded by high level turrets and sentries....
You got it! While not specifically a min/max exclusive, as all players can do it at any point in the game with a level 1 Scanner, Database or B-coin Mixer, it's definitely effective!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

zqx

Postby zqx » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:35 am

Appreciate the clarifications, Luminaar. I just leveled up my core so I'll put this new social engineering to good use with my new nodes.

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:10 am

Antivirus pulses are sent every 1 second, so the DPS statistic is damage per second and also damage per pulse.

Pulses are additive. 3 nodes sending AV to the same neighbor will capture the neighbor 3 times faster than if there was just one node sending AV.

Also note the scaling as you upgrade nodes is pseudo-exponential. By level 16, AV can recapture a hostile level 1 Scanner (that is connected to 3 nodes) in 1 second, and can break a level 1 protector in 4 seconds (so don't neglect your programs, either!)
Hell_Diguner - C12L39, Had C12L29 (world record), Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C12L38, Worms+Maniac main
CaptainDavyJones - C12L39, Beams main, will eventually be Kraken main