How do players have insane high beam cannons?

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Dwst

How do players have insane high beam cannons?

Postby Dwst » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Hello everyone,
I am playing this Game for month with Lots of Passion and fun. I now reached Level 48, and start to recocnize Something that Takes the fun Out for me tbh: at Level 48 with an average build Base, my beam Canon is on level 11. Now Players suddenly Attack me with Level 46 and a Beamcanon of Level 20. Thats 9 Level above! How does that Work? I can not even afford the Level Up to 12.
There is seemingly nothing i can Defend against that, they Just Melt through everything, Codegates included. Did i miss something, can you buy those Levels for real Money?
I Like to have equal Fights, 2-3 Levels in difference, but 9?? Wtf?
This Kind of Kills the will of me to Play, even i already invested some Euros into it.

Greetings

Alfatrion

Re: How do players have insane high beam cannons?

Postby Alfatrion » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:03 pm

They have made different choices about what to upgrade and what not. If you focus one a couple of programs and nodes, then you can upgrade them to a higher level.

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Dwst wrote:at Level 48 with an average build Base, my beam Canon is on level 11. Now Players suddenly Attack me with Level 46 and a Beamcanon of Level 20.
I had a similar thing happen, except I had Beam Level 5 at the time - whoops! I learnt too late that Access, Portal and Worms weren't going to be a consistently good attacking force. :P

As Alfatrion mentioned, it is simply a player made choice, and that players will choose to forgo other programs and concentrate on levelling specific programs (and the required B-coin Mixers) by forgoing other programs. They run the risk of holding huge amounts of resources till they're ready, but when they do reach those limits, it pays for itself by making attacks a lot easier. While Beam Cannon is not always the best way to go for even later levels, it's certainly viable if you get high level ones early on. :)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 am

Beam 11 at level 48 is considered severely under-leveled by those of us "in the know," but it's pretty normal that people who don't do some research on the game don't upgrade their programs as much as "we" think they should.

The short version is people did testing and made spreadsheets in the first few months the game came out to figure out the most optimal way to play, but most of those people are no longer active on the forums, so this info isn't being taught to new players any more. Some of the oldest threads on these forums are gold mines for advice.

The good news is the wiki is a whole lot more complete than it used to be back then, so it's pretty easy to drop that data in excel and make a few graphs for yourself. The vets are burned out and are tired of answering the same questions over and over, but if you ask _really_ nicely, somebody might tell you what they know.
Hell_Diguner - C12L34, Had C12L29 (world record), soon to be a Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C10L28, Maniac+Worms main
CaptainDavyJones - C10L27, Beams main, will eventually be Kraken main