Open Source

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
-[RECAP]-

Open Source

Postby -[RECAP]- » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:30 pm

Open-source video games are games assembled from and are themselves open-source software, including public domain games with published source code.
"wikipedia"

Trickster arts is a small team (as I heard) but they made a big move, creating and releasing this game, but big moves also need big supports.
A support more than what it has today.

One solution may be open sourcing the game.

This way, instead of few devs, we can use of many other devs.

Look at it this way:
Experienced users instead of suggesting the feature in text, they will actually make the code and send it to the devs, so that saves the devs a lot of time and it would be just a matter of checking and adding or maybe a bit editing it.

Anyone who have experience in a field can join the development that way, and help the project grow faster and better.

There are a lot of open source games out there, check here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_video_games
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/open-source-video-games/

Game designers and players who embrace open gaming believe that sharing, transparency, and rapid prototyping can lead to superior entertainment experiences.
"Opensource"

There are many Opensource projects on the GitHub, check them out.
People do changes to the project, devs agree/disagree, project grows faster.

“It feels a little bit funny coming here and telling you that Linux and open source are the future of gaming” are the words that Valve Co-Founder and Executive Director Gabe Newell opened with during a panel at this year's LinuxCon held in New Orleans.
"pcgamer"

Please consider and think about it.

It's a whole new world for gamers.... A game that they can make changes to and help it get better directly.
I'm Back...

crack

Re: Open Source

Postby crack » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:01 am

Great idea, sure it's the way all things should be.
Neither of these!!! Pay 2 Win /Smurf /Minmaxer :shock: Definitely these!!! 0$ dude/ TP/ RHG/Play by the ROE/Friendly/& an ass *donkey) lol

-[RECAP]-

Postby -[RECAP]- » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:59 pm

Anybody have any opinion about this?
I'm Back...

Alfatrion

Postby Alfatrion » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:11 am

-[RECAP]- wrote:Look at it this way:
Experienced users instead of suggesting the feature in text, they will actually make the code and send it to the devs, so that saves the devs a lot of time and it would be just a matter of checking and adding or maybe a bit editing it.

Unless these experienced users are also experienced developers who have taken the time to learn about the architecture and also clean up the code (that is not adding features, just making the code easier to understand or change), I find it more likely that this will result in the downfall. If everybody here start contributing, than the team will have to manage that as well. I see a lot of suggestion of which I doubt that they will improve the game play, often new applications and nodes, like adding pieces to the game of chess, just because it would be cool, if you could have a pieces that is able to do x or y, without seeing how this would effect the whole game. It can work, but it is not as simple as: "make it open source and everything will be better". Making it open source also means that others can run the software on their own servers, meaning the devs might loose a source of revenue.

A video of Uncle Bob on coding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHnLmvDxGTY&t=355

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:48 pm

Trickster Arts wants to make money. It's a lot harder to do that if any tom, dick, or harry has access to your code base.
Hell_Diguner - C12L34, Had C12L29 (world record), soon to be a Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C10L28, Maniac+Worms main
CaptainDavyJones - C9L21, Kraken main

edita

Postby edita » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:21 pm

good idea!

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 am

Hey Luminaar, this edita guy might be a clever spambot. Almost all his posts are either a generic response to the thread's title (cue magic 8-ball) or directly quote what somebody else already said in the thread - and he always adds a link to some website in Arabic. Even his most complex post - his first one - is just a minor edit of what somebody else said.
Hell_Diguner - C12L34, Had C12L29 (world record), soon to be a Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C10L28, Maniac+Worms main
CaptainDavyJones - C9L21, Kraken main

TheLurkingRage

Postby TheLurkingRage » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Hell_Diguner wrote:Hey Luminaar, this edita guy might be a clever spambot. Almost all his posts are either a generic response to the thread's title (cue magic 8-ball) or directly quote what somebody else already said in the thread - and he always adds a link to some website in Arabic. Even his most complex post - his first one - is just a minor edit of what somebody else said.

Good idea!
DEATH TO SMURFS! >:)

TheLurkingRage
Top Rank: #1 for nearly 2 months
Top Rep: 4.9k
Smurfed/minmaxed/exploited shield to reach top: Nope
Player since: Mid January
YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLurkingRage

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:28 pm

Hell_Diguner wrote:Hey Luminaar, this edita guy might be a clever spambot. Almost all his posts are either a generic response to the thread's title (cue magic 8-ball) or directly quote what somebody else already said in the thread - and he always adds a link to some website in Arabic. Even his most complex post - his first one - is just a minor edit of what somebody else said.
I remember thinking this was suspicious back in May. Totally never spotted the links underneath though - I just thought the posts were awfully generic. I guess I should've paid more attention when he said he agreed with Lurk :lol:
TheLurkingRage wrote:Good idea!
Checks for Lurking links - Nope, this one's fine 8-)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.