Experience Points

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Luminaar

Re: Experience Points

Postby Luminaar » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:51 pm

TheLurkingRage wrote:The reason player level is an issue is because of the search algorithm in the first place. If you can fix the search like I'd suggested, then level inflation wouldn't be as big a deal as it is now.
Not quite true, but I understand what you're saying. The search is doing what it's supposed to do - finding targets of relevant strength. The issue is with level not being an accurate indication of strength anymore. ;)

While adding in Evolver Level sounds like a quick and easy fix, it's neither in practicality, and just adds another layer to the min-max pie for players to find a way to abuse :) I'd say #InBeforeLowEvolverAccessAndLeech, but I know someones working on that already :P
TheLurkingRage wrote:I have never heard any experienced player with an inflated level say they wished to be even higher leveled, or stay at that level if they deleted a node.
I can't argue with that. :P Remember that not everyone plays for the same reason as yourself however.
TheLurkingRage wrote:By making it so the level doesn't go down when you delete a node, you wouldn't be improving anything
I have to disagree here however. The ability to delete nodes and be reduced in level, would inevitably see every single network reduced to minimal level, maximum security, cookie cutter network. This would end up crippling the game for new players. Don't get me wrong however, I do see the issues with high level networks being "over-inflated." As mentioned previously though, that's not the sole cause - like yourself, I too believe some low level networks are potentially also under-inflated.
TheLurkingRage wrote:I also don't see how the statement of a newbie confirms that veterans have the same presumed wishes. :/
It doesn't :P All it's saying is that not everybody wants the same thing. Maybe a misinterpretation there - read it as "not all players want to be reduced in level". :)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Mchief

Postby Mchief » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:40 pm

Luminaar wrote:
TheLurkingRage wrote:The reason player level is an issue is because of the search algorithm in the first place. If you can fix the search like I'd suggested, then level inflation wouldn't be as big a deal as it is now.
Not quite true, but I understand what you're saying. The search is doing what it's supposed to do - finding targets of relevant strength. The issue is with level not being an accurate indication of strength anymore. ;)

While adding in Evolver Level sounds like a quick and easy fix, it's neither in practicality, and just adds another layer to the min-max pie for players to find a way to abuse :) I'd say #InBeforeLowEvolverAccessAndLeech, but I know someones working on that already :P
TheLurkingRage wrote:I have never heard any experienced player with an inflated level say they wished to be even higher leveled, or stay at that level if they deleted a node.
I can't argue with that. :P Remember that not everyone plays for the same reason as yourself however.
TheLurkingRage wrote:By making it so the level doesn't go down when you delete a node, you wouldn't be improving anything
I have to disagree here however. The ability to delete nodes and be reduced in level, would inevitably see every single network reduced to minimal level, maximum security, cookie cutter network. This would end up crippling the game for new players. Don't get me wrong however, I do see the issues with high level networks being "over-inflated." As mentioned previously though, that's not the sole cause - like yourself, I too believe some low level networks are potentially also under-inflated.
TheLurkingRage wrote:I also don't see how the statement of a newbie confirms that veterans have the same presumed wishes. :/
It doesn't :P All it's saying is that not everybody wants the same thing. Maybe a misinterpretation there - read it as "not all players want to be reduced in level". :)

Think there could be a simple fix here, player level is calculated by taking the top 2 nodes and programs of each type( security nodes, farm nodes/storage, offence programs, defence programs) , this way you can have your min maxers and your built everything At the same level able to target players with approx equal gear.

PerseVerAnce

Postby PerseVerAnce » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Luminaar wrote:I have to disagree here however. The ability to delete nodes and be reduced in level, would inevitably see every single network reduced to minimal level, maximum security, cookie cutter network. This would end up crippling the game for new players..

I think you are forgetting that new players will also be able to use this feature and reduce their own level as well. So everyone's level will be scaled back, and in the end, it will still be a fair fight.

Imo, the only real concern is a lack of resources if everyone deletes their farms. But there have already been many suggestions to provide incentives to level farms.
Level 61
Highest Rank Achieved: Elite
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/PerseVerAncee

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:20 am

Cookie cutter builds are an indicator of flaws in the way a strategy game is balanced. They can't be eliminated, but a game's balance can be adjusted so there's a greater variety of viable builds - and the more viable builds there are, the less important playing the absolute optimum becomes.
Hell_Diguner - C12L34, Core rush (had C12L29), soon to be a Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C10L28, Maniac+Worms main
CaptainDavyJones - C4L8, Soon to be Kraken+Protector main

TheLurkingRage

Postby TheLurkingRage » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:06 am

Those types of networks already exist. It's called minmaxing and nothing is being done about that. Introducing a rep cap based on your level and a "tech" cap based on your rep would help bring some balance to the game. You'd need to have a sufficient amount of rep to upgrade certain things, which would help combat the rep dumpers issue and a rep cap for your level can help eliminate minmaxer smurfs who's sole purpose is to use the broken search to their advantage and climb the leaderboards. Neither rep dumpers nor minmaxers or smurfs are playing the same game as everyone else who's kept going with their original account, and that needs some attention from TA.
If I were as obsessed with real life hacking and as dedicated as I am in the game, I would dominate the entire world. >:)

TheLurkingRage
Rep Rank: Elite
Player since: Mid January
YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLurkingRage

Sibernetika

Postby Sibernetika » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:57 am

For once myself and caption rage is in agreement using the rep as a requirement will be perfect, how can people with powerful networks have no rep even in the real world powerful networks have a reputation, even if just in the underground circles but it will still have a rep for being powerful or untouchable
Last edited by Sibernetika on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tH15 T3x7 i5 ju57 h3re 70 4NИ0y y0u :mrgreen:
01000001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01110011 01101111 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 00111011 00101001
send nudes

edita

Postby edita » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:00 pm

i agree with TheLurkingRage
تفسير الاحلام