Captured node attacking incorrect node [RESOLVED]

Have an issue? Ask or report here
brickw

Captured node attacking incorrect node [RESOLVED]

Post by brickw » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:36 pm

I have encountered this issue before and had been only an annoyance. But recently it occurred in a configuration that was of a more severe impact. While attacking a network there was a node that connected to a code gate and another security node, I used a wraith on the security node and left the code gate alone as both nodes

Code: Select all

connected to the same node on the back side.  The intent was to disable the security node, attack it and go around the code gate.  But the worm program attacked the code gate instead of the disabled security node.  There doesn't appear to be an way to direct an attacking node to a target of my choosing.  

Once the code gate was circumvented I intended the remaining worm programs to attack the code gate as it was no longer of consequence.
As I disabled the code gate behind the one being attacked in the attached screen shot.

Please see attached screen shot.

Scratch that, the screen shot .jpg file is too big at 397k.

Luminaar

Re: Captured node attacking incorrect node

Post by Luminaar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:54 am

brickw wrote:I have encountered this issue before and had been only an annoyance. But recently it occurred in a configuration that was of a more severe impact. While attacking a network there was a node that connected to a code gate and another security node, I used a wraith on the security node and left the code gate alone as both nodes

Code: Select all

connected to the same node on the back side.  The intent was to disable the security node, attack it and go around the code gate.  But the worm program attacked the code gate instead of the disabled security node.  There doesn't appear to be an way to direct an attacking node to a target of my choosing.[/quote][attachment=0]IMG-6519-2.jpg[/attachment]For programs that select a target when attacking, this selection is made using a set of pre-defined Attack Priorities. Here's a breakdown of them:

1. Security Nodes with a Strength value - Sentry, Turret and Black ICE - and A.I. Nodes which have an antivirus installed. Other Security Nodes - Guardian, Scanner and Code Gate - are considered regular nodes in this regard. 
2. White A.I. Nodes which do not have an antivirus installed. 
3. The Core, regardless of antivirus status, including a Core that is upgrading. 
4. Any other Black Nodes - Nodes with an installed antivirus. 
5. Partially Black Nodes - Nodes where an antivirus is currently being uploaded. 
6. White Nodes and Upgrading Nodes - Nodes which are upgrading and Nodes where an antivirus is not present (including upgrading Security Nodes, but not including an upgrading Core). 
7. Nodes under the Wraith effect. 

The reason that your Worms ignored the Guardian and attacked the Code Gate first is because targets that are Wraithed are considered the lowest priority. The reason for this is so that programs don't attack a neutered target while an adjacent node is attacking it!

While the arrows show your preferred route, the attack priorities are the same for every network. :) To ensure you attack a node of your choosing in this situation, consider using a Shuriken to bypass the standard Attack Priorities.
Attachments
IMG-6519-2.jpg
IMG-6519-2.jpg (197.77 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.