Issue with flickering Internet connection [RESOLVED]

Have an issue? Ask or report here
candahar
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 2:59 pm

Issue with flickering Internet connection [RESOLVED]

Postby candahar » Tue May 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi all

I am on Vacation and the Internet​ Connection is Not very stable. This often results in situations where you successfully hack somebody but then lose the Internet Connection for some seconds. Then the game tries to reconnect and as a resut...
- the hack counts AS lost
- you do Not receive b-coins or Dollars which you stole
- all the used attack programs are lost and have to be compiled again which again costs b-coins

It is very frustrating when you are punished for a successfull hack in this manner.

Luminaar
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: Issue with flickering Internet connection

Postby Luminaar » Tue May 30, 2017 11:12 pm

candahar wrote:Hi all

I am on Vacation and the Internet​ Connection is Not very stable. This often results in situations where you successfully hack somebody but then lose the Internet Connection for some seconds. Then the game tries to reconnect and as a resut...
- the hack counts AS lost
- you do Not receive b-coins or Dollars which you stole
- all the used attack programs are lost and have to be compiled again which again costs b-coins

It is very frustrating when you are punished for a successfull hack in this manner.
Information is sent at the start and end of attacks. When you attack, the connection to the other player is "opened". This prevents the other player from logging in and spending resources while you attack, and also prevents other players from attacking and looting the same resources you are stealing :D When the attack is resolved, information on the hack results are sent and the connection is "closed".

When disconnecting, the game gives you a small amount of time to reconnect before "timing out" and closing the connection itself. If you are taking longer to reconnect than the timeout allows (I don't know the exact time - sorry!) the game will default to "no loot lost by the target" when timing out, since it didn't receive any information to say otherwise.

The reason you lost programs is because your device sends that information when you eventually reconnect. However, it's currently not possible to delay the sending of attack/hack result info, as any additional latency loss between the starting the attack and sending the information would not only be a security risk and open to abuse, but could also result is strange situations where a player has already spend the resources that you have previously looted that the server doesn't know about yet, etc.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

WarIock
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 1:09 pm

Re: [SOLVED] Issue with flickering Internet connection

Postby WarIock » Wed May 31, 2017 10:30 am

Luminaar wrote:The reason you lost programs is because your device sends that information when you eventually reconnect.


This sounds interesting. Do you have more information about it?

Siquel
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: Issue with flickering Internet connection

Postby Siquel » Wed May 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Luminaar wrote:When disconnecting, the game gives you a small amount of time to reconnect before "timing out" and closing the connection itself.

It's definitely not enough time to let us reconnect. Sometimes I'm disconnected just for 2 second and.... Pufff everything is lost.

Luminaar
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: [SOLVED] Issue with flickering Internet connection

Postby Luminaar » Wed May 31, 2017 3:52 pm

WarIock wrote:This sounds interesting. Do you have more information about it?
Nothing more that would let you abuse the system :D Hopefully it is suffice enough to say that there has to be a super short time for sending hack results, otherwise it could be open to abuse as mentioned previously, such as looting resources which have been spent, or permanently locking a target out of their network by keeping your attack "open".

We are aware that connection delays do happen though, and we do retrieve *other* data at later times. This data will include things like changes to your network, programs that you've compiled etc, but will also include things like programs that were used ;)
Siquel wrote:It's definitely not enough time to let us reconnect. Sometimes I'm disconnected just for 2 second and.... Pufff everything is lost.
I will certainly pass this information on. Network security, as you know from building your defences(!), is very important, so we have to keep things as tight as possible as protection against ... well, Hackers :D I hope you can understand. :)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

candahar
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 2:59 pm

Re: Issue with flickering Internet connection

Postby candahar » Wed May 31, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks for the explanation, but this Sounds AS if you already have a Security issue.

You say you Take whatever my device sends you Back after a Hack. So I am going to Interrupt this Connection ( man in the middle attack) and modify this Message. E.g. all resources looted With only one worm.

You should habe better Security and verification Checks than this. Never ever rely in any information or device that you cannot Controle (such AS my device)

Back to my Initial Bug report... Instead of punishing someone because of a Network timeout, you could treat the attack AS being never executed or at least do Not waste my resources by forcing me To recompile "Not used" attack programs.

Luminaar
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: Issue with flickering Internet connection

Postby Luminaar » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:24 am

candahar wrote:Back to my Initial Bug report... Instead of punishing someone because of a Network timeout, you could treat the attack AS being never executed or at least do Not waste my resources by forcing me To recompile "Not used" attack programs.
Thanks for the suggestion. My understanding is that the team are already looking at ways to resolve some of the issues relating to dropped connections.

As for the technical shenanigans, I can't say I know a great deal more about securities in place. I can only share with you the information I've picked up while being the "customer support" guy - do with it as you will. I do know that there are other things in place to prevent data altering however ... check out this guy. :D
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

WarIock
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 1:09 pm

Re: [SOLVED] Issue with flickering Internet connection

Postby WarIock » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:37 am

candahar wrote:You say you Take whatever my device sends you Back after a Hack. So I am going to Interrupt this Connection ( man in the middle attack) and modify this Message. E.g. all resources looted With only one worm.


I believe all attacks not properly disconnected results in 0 resources looted. I have doubts about "device sending what programs you use when you reconnect". I already tried clearing cache, uninstall/install hackers and it still shows the correct programs I used.

There was one time when I had 38 beam cannons when my max capacity was only 20. I was unable to reproduce the bug. I remember it happened why my internet was faulty. I don't know if there is a connection somehow.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests