Security Node Investment Priorties

Best strategies of building your network
Silken

Security Node Investment Priorties

Postby Silken » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:23 am

Lots of people are always asking what nodes should they invest in. Now the current meta is Sentries. So question answered. But I wanted to take it a step further and list which nodes defend against which programs, and when they start to get important in the current Meta.

So firstly the list of which nodes defends against which programs, then some information on when to invest. Obviously, there are some cross overs, which I've not completely listed, I've just listed the main points.

It's important to note, that I didn't level in the way below. I've taken a more balanced approach in levelling and maxed out nodes in relation to Core levels. It still offers great protection and gives me a great insight into which nodes work best at which levels.

FireWall on all nodes - Defends against Beams, Worms, Shuriken
Scanner - Defends against Access, Wraith, Portal and Leech.
Turret - Defends mainly against Ice Wall. Can help against Protector.
Black Ice - Defends against Ice Wall and Protector.
Sentry - Defends against Ice Wall and Protector.
Guardian - Adds Protection to nodes, so slows all attacks. Particularly useful against Manic and Shocker.
Code Gate - Slows all attacks. Particularly useful against Wraith, Blasters, Beams.

So when to invest. Levels are general because people level their core at different rates and have access to different nodes at different times. Therefore as above, I have to be quite generic.

As Legal points out in the discussion below. A even quicker route to cope with people at current levels. Is to level Core as quickly as possible. Along with probably Sentry, Scanner and Gates. As stated, this guide is a little more generic, it doesn't take into account different Network designs. But pretty much still comes to the same conclusion. Sentry - Scanner - Gates.

Levels 1-15
Sentry and Turret. No-one has access to Stealth, so scanners do not need to be levelled. Use it as a choke point. Your only defence is a single choke point, Mainly against Walls and Beams. So Sentry and Turrets are the most important to level. Code Gates can stop people in their tracks, so raising these a few levels to slow Beams and Blaster/Rams is a good idea.

Priority - 1. Sentry - 2. Turret - 3. Code Gate

Levels 15-30
Stealth attacks start to happen. Priority should be Scanner, move your Code Gates to the front to force people to use Wraith. High Scanner alone will not stop Stealth attacks.

Your only defence, in general, is still only a single choke point. So continue to level Sentry.

People will start to be using Protector, since Black Ice is better against them than Turrets, they start to get more important than Turrets. Scanner should be raised to level 8 straight away (no stopping for any other node). Then Level 10 or even better 12, puts pay to almost all Stealth attacks for a long time (as long as you have at least two Gate near your NC).

Priority - 1. Scanner - 2. Sentry - 3. Black Ice

Level 30 - 40
At this stage Stealth has been blocked by Scanner and Code Gates. You have enough nodes to either have two choke points or have a decent maelstrom. You will find at this stage, peoples Beams have out levelled general firewalls on nodes. Guardian protection is weak at low levels, so these do not really help, therefore most people use Guardians as chokes. However, I strongly believe that Guardians come into play at really high levels, since they take so long to level (even longer than scanner), so it's maybe an idea to start to level at least one. I'll come onto this way of thinking later, in a general conclusion. Your only defence is to retake nodes as quickly as possible. People now have access to higher level Protector and Shocker. Black Ice helps but in general is still too weak. Priorities should be Sentry and Gates.

Priority 1. Sentry - 2. Sentry - 3. Sentry. 4. Gates Cannot stress Sentry enough. Gates are also really important. You are forcing people to use Wraiths and Rams, which have some of the longest compiling times. A base with high Sentry and decent Gates will get skipped when found on a search.

Level 40 - 50
OK this is where I am. So the guide will stop here. And it's really easy. Gates Gates Gates Gates Gates Gates Gates.
Yep Gates is this most important. Even with a high Sentry people can now start to get passed with Shockers and Protectors. And even if you have levelled Guardian and Black Ice to a realistic level. (I'm talking level 10 Guardians and level 12 Black Ice here) they are still not enough to cope with Shocker and Protector. Your only hope is Gates, to slow your attacker down, forcing him/her to use Rams. Gates on choke points are also becoming really popular. Lots of people are now aiming for level 16 Gates at this stage.

Priority 1. Gates - 2. Gates- 3. Gates.

So going forward and in conclusion. You can see that Sentry is the most important, on pretty much every level stage. Falling to second place, only once, to scanner at around level 15. Then priority switches back to Sentry. Gates start to become important after level 30 and especially after level 40.

Going forward after Level 50, I think people will realise that they have no defence against Protector and Shocker. Therefore, the mad rush will be Black Ice against Protectors and perhaps Guardians to help against Shockers (i.e more firewall to take down during the 10 plus seconds that no other defence is working). Scanner will also have to be revisited and pushed up.

Therefore in conclusion, if you want a chance to defend against the current meta the priority is as follows.

Low Level
Priority - 1. Sentry - 2. Turret - 3. Code Gate

Low/Mid Level
Priority - 1. Scanner - 2. Sentry - 3. Black Ice

Mid Level
Priority 1. Sentry - 2. Sentry - 3. Sentry. 4. Gates

Mid/High Level
Priority 1. Gates - 2. Gates- 3. Gates.

High Level
Probably 1. Black Ice, 2. Maybe Guardians, most likely Scanners.

Edits are for spelling.
Last edited by Silken on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o

legal

Re: Security Node Investment Priorties

Postby legal » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:40 am

I actually kind of agree with this but at this point in the game only way to catch up to people I would say is to push core levels. The faster that core is up the more nodes you get and the more nodes you get the more you can spread your network out. Although I do agree with alot of what you said, to a certain degree. A friend of mine that started about a month ago has been able to raise through the levels very fast by leveling his core only. He slightly did what you said. he focused mostly on three key area's and you covered all of them. So good guide for the most part. Although I do not have black ice and will not most likely use as it is way to slow, and it has 5 slots on it so a very dangerous node to have, although powerful to use it is also very powerful for them to use it against you also. Since there is no defense against shocker adding a black ice will not stop that but will stop protector. So I'll let you use balck ice I'll go my own route like I always have. Not bad for new players though.
Username: Legal
Level: 48 (12/25/16)
Core: 12
Highest reputation: meaningless
Highest world rank: meaningless
Find me on my discord for help @ https://discord.me/unofficialhacker along with many other, high level players.

Silken

Postby Silken » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:57 am

legal wrote:I actually kind of agree with this but at this point in the game only way to catch up to people I would say is to push core levels. The faster that core is up the more nodes you get and the more nodes you get the more you can spread your network out. Although I do agree with alot of what you said, to a certain degree. A friend of mine that started about a month ago has been able to raise through the levels very fast by leveling his core only. He slightly did what you said. he focused mostly on three key area's and you covered all of them. So good guide for the most part. Although I do not have black ice and will not most likely use as it is way to slow, and it has 5 slots on it so a very dangerous node to have, although powerful to use it is also very powerful for them to use it against you also. Since there is no defense against shocker adding a black ice will not stop that but will stop protector. So I'll let you use balck ice I'll go my own route like I always have. Not bad for new players though.

Thanks. I think you have a maelstrom defence. And I agree, Black Ice in a maelstorm gives people a really strong foothold. it could be a really good strategy not to have them. Lots of low level nodes mixed in with gates, could be enough not to have a Black Ice. But Protector is going to be really hard to defend against without one. Will be interesting to see if your idea works. My gut reaction is no, but who knows.

I plan to have multiple choke i.e 5-6 at level 12 core. so Black Ice hanging to the side are important to me. I've no idea if this will be enough.

I didn't mention Core because strictly speaking it's not a Security Node. But yes, levelling Core to Max level is the current meta. It's an important point and Core should be developed as quickly as possible.

If people are just starting and wanted to min/max in full - up to current levels then yes. Core, Sentry, Scanner and Gates, would be the path. Ignore Turrets, Black Ice, Guardian. The guide, whilst still weighted on those, is trying to be more balanced.
Last edited by Silken on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silken
Level - 54

legal

Postby legal » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:49 pm

Silken wrote:
legal wrote:I actually kind of agree with this but at this point in the game only way to catch up to people I would say is to push core levels. The faster that core is up the more nodes you get and the more nodes you get the more you can spread your network out. Although I do agree with alot of what you said, to a certain degree. A friend of mine that started about a month ago has been able to raise through the levels very fast by leveling his core only. He slightly did what you said. he focused mostly on three key area's and you covered all of them. So good guide for the most part. Although I do not have black ice and will not most likely use as it is way to slow, and it has 5 slots on it so a very dangerous node to have, although powerful to use it is also very powerful for them to use it against you also. Since there is no defense against shocker adding a black ice will not stop that but will stop protector. So I'll let you use balck ice I'll go my own route like I always have. Not bad for new players though.

Thanks. I think you have a maelstrom defence. And I agree, Black Ice in a maelstorm gives people a really strong foothold. it could be a really good strategy not to have them. Lots of low level nodes mixed in with gates, could be enough not to have a Black Ice. But Protector is going to be really hard to defend against without one. Will be interesting to see if your idea works. My gut reaction is no, but who knows.

I plan to have multiple choke i.e 5-6 at level 12 core. so Black Ice hanging to the side are important to me. I've no idea if this will be enough.

I didn't mention Core because strictly speaking it's not a Security Node. But yes, levelling Core to Max level is the current meta. It's an important point and Core should be developed as quickly as possible.

currently no my defense is not maelstrom. I actually have many choke points, and tons of code gates. My core 12 shall be done soon and although I have toyed with adding black ice I think it is just a bad idea. I have seen many people with black ice and once i take them there network is mine. My strategy is to actually slow them down to the point they wont get anything. I see a lot of badly placed code gates on networks, and badly placed security nodes placed all over the place. Since shocker disables offensive programs your best bet is to slow them down drastically. I hear many people talk about only having 1 or 2 code gates. This is troubling because it is one of the hardest things to get thru in late game if leveled high enough. A good choke point can stop sloppy players but a skilled player can easily get around them. Not saying your net work is bad. In fact you have a decent network. Maybe even better than mine. But we are playing 2 very different strategies. I am playing for end game while most players are playing short term. It shows as I am approaching end game I see less and less people taking my network. As core 12 gets done I have idea's I have been planing for since i was level 20 ready to implement. I have slowed my leveling on purpose as food has started to dry up and I want to focus on other aspects while I can still get food. Most players here are looking very short term how can I beat everyone now I am looking at how the future looks for my network. Honestly it looks decent, I do agree with a great many of the things you have said though. You just left out how important it is to level that core up.
Find me on my discord for help @ https://discord.me/unofficialhacker along with many other, high level players.

Silken

Postby Silken » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:57 pm

legal wrote:
Silken wrote:

currently no my defense is not maelstrom. I actually have many choke points, and tons of code gates. My core 12 shall be done soon and although I have toyed with adding black ice I think it is just a bad idea. I have seen many people with black ice and once i take them there network is mine. My strategy is to actually slow them down to the point they wont get anything. I see a lot of badly placed code gates on networks, and badly placed security nodes placed all over the place. Since shocker disables offensive programs your best bet is to slow them down drastically. I hear many people talk about only having 1 or 2 code gates. This is troubling because it is one of the hardest things to get thru in late game if leveled high enough. A good choke point can stop sloppy players but a skilled player can easily get around them. Not saying your net work is bad. In fact you have a decent network. Maybe even better than mine. But we are playing 2 very different strategies. I am playing for end game while most players are playing short term. It shows as I am approaching end game I see less and less people taking my network. As core 12 gets done I have idea's I have been planing for since i was level 20 ready to implement. I have slowed my leveling on purpose as food has started to dry up and I want to focus on other aspects while I can still get food. Most players here are looking very short term how can I beat everyone now I am looking at how the future looks for my network. Honestly it looks decent, I do agree with a great many of the things you have said though. You just left out how important it is to level that core up.

Yep no argument. I'll edit and add core. Althrough this discussion makes that point clear.
Silken
Level - 54

legal

Postby legal » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:00 pm

Silken wrote:
legal wrote:
Silken wrote:

Yep no argument. I'll edit and add core. Althrough this discussion makes that point clear.
Okay cool that is what conversations do.

Silken

Postby Silken » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Added

As Legal points out in the discussion below. A even quicker route to cope with people at current levels. Is to level Core as quickly as possible. Along with probably Sentry, Scanner and Gates. As stated, this guide is a little more generic, it doesn't take into account different Network designs. But pretty much still comes to the same conclusion. Sentry - Scanner - Gates.
Silken
Level - 54

legal

Postby legal » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Silken wrote:Added

I get asked this a lot to, and now I will direct them here. Thanks for making this guide it was truly needed. I almost made a video on it and now I do not have to. So thanks silken

Yopee

Postby Yopee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm getting ready to defend against the lvl15+ beamers out there so I'm curious about some specific power spikes.

At what level code gate do beams generally take too long to break through?

Also, is stealth still used (aside from wraithing the first two gates) and what level scanner would generally stop them?

If it helps with your answer, I'm the player who rushed core while pumping money into one of each of sentry, scanner, and code gate with tiny bit put into black ices.

Silken

Postby Silken » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Yopee wrote:I'm getting ready to defend against the lvl15+ beamers out there so I'm curious about some specific power spikes.

At what level code gate do beams generally take too long to break through?

Also, is stealth still used (aside from wraithing the first two gates) and what level scanner would generally stop them?

If it helps with your answer, I'm the player who rushed core while pumping money into one of each of sentry, scanner, and code gate with tiny bit put into black ices.

I'm not the best person to ask. Since I never leave resources. So my base rarely gets hacked. Not because people can't but because there is no point.

But in general people wouldn't use beams against white gates. Which start at level 13. Although the people with level 20-21 beams could still get through if they wanted. However, in general, having white gates probably means that people will just drop a Ram. So in summary, level 13 as a visual level. Level 16 as a real bitch level.

It terms of stealth, lvl 8 scanner stops basic stealth - I.e stealth not levelled at all. Lvl 10 stops most. But some people have levelled access and wraith quite high. I would say Lvl 12 stops it for sure until the 'end game' starts. I stopped at 12. But at level 44 I'm starting to think I should move it up another couple. Again difficult for me to say since I have two levelled scanners and three gates at the start. Most people just don't bother with stealth attacks attacks against me.

Edited for bad grammar and spelling.
Last edited by Silken on Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Silken
Level - 54

Return to “NETWORK ARCHITECTURE”