Positioning Turret

Best strategies of building your network
Vyshnav Ramesh

Positioning Turret

Postby Vyshnav Ramesh » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:21 am

Guyz, kindly take a second in giving tips for the best placement of turret. This can be useful for all players of this community

Fantöm

Re: Positioning Turret

Postby Fantöm » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:13 am

Well the best (highest rank) players (idk about Gream nor SolidSnake's networks because I've never been able to find them) have them connected to the Scanner. So yes it's a good strat, but the problem is that if the hacker uses a shocker, your defense is quickly down.
So, unless you don't have to deal with this yet (no hackers attacked you with a Shocker), you don't really need to worry about it until you level up :)
Notice it's a bit hard to protect your whole network at a low level, it will become (a little bit) easier when you will have the Core to level 7-ish.
Away until (at least end June but maybe) mid July, so hack me :D and leave a message :)
EDIT : I am actually leaving this Beta, good luck for the devs and have fun hacking!

Vyshnav Ramesh

Postby Vyshnav Ramesh » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:09 pm

tnx fantom...dat hlps..

Prochlub

Postby Prochlub » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Defenses are often connected to Scanner, because of 3 reasons:
- it does not have big firewall, meaning it can be taken back more easily
- it has 4 neighbors, meaning you can connect 3 defenses to it to take it faster
- it has only 3 program slots, meaning attacker has less space to manuever (usually to install 1 ice/protector+2 attacking programs, = the attack is significantly slower)

Another candidate for me is Guardian for similar reasons:
- even smaller firewall in my case, and it also installs additional 'ice' of the adjacent defenses before it is taken (= it is harder to be taken when it installs 'ice' on itself, yet it is easily taken back because of its low base firewall... and it makes connected defenses harder to take over)
- it has 5 neighbors = you connect 4 defenses to it
- but it has 4 slots for programs, which is quite a significant difference (usually for guardian with 4 connected defenses I would use shocker->protector + 3shurikens)

So the bigger question probably is, if it is worth to go "all in" with your defenses, or if it is better to have them spread more around the network.
Prochlub,
The Node-Artist

Prochlub

Postby Prochlub » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:59 pm

Also, when positioning Turrets, it's good to keep in mind the boost for spreading Sentry program - it's often benefitial to connect them to some sentry as well.
Prochlub,
The Node-Artist

Vyshnav Ramesh

Postby Vyshnav Ramesh » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:51 pm

yes, i agree wt dat. Placing Turrets adjacent to sentry helps in spreading anti virus fast