Specific anti-program designs [GUIDE]

Best strategies of building your network
Fluffington
Location: Join the Hackers discord https://discord.gg/qquYZ6H

Specific anti-program designs [GUIDE]

Postby Fluffington » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:23 am

Introduction

In this post, I will talk about some network strategies to counter certain program combos.

This a defence guide, not an attacking guide. Go to the Hacking strategies forum for attack guides.

Keep in mind that all network strategies also have their own program counters. But hopefully this post will help people who are struggling against defending a certain type of program combo.

Anti-
Beam cannon + ICE-wall
"Basic program for any hacker. Beam Cannon attacks the strongest firewall nearby."
"Fortify your nodes during attacks with the ICE-Wall defensive program. It absorbs enemy attacks until the ICE-Wall is destroyed."

Once the beam cannon attacks a node, it locks onto it making it a simple, but effective program. Most commonly used along with the ICE wall as a defensive node. By itself, single beam cannons can easily be taken out by the defending node.

The problem arises when the hacker adds a ICE wall to it. This makes gives the beam cannon an advantage as now it can hold its node and keep attacking and the defending node.

A simple method to counter this is to make choke points like this:

When the attacker gets to the evolver (the so-called "choke point"), the two turrets can quickly wear down the ICE-wall. If the attacker doesn't replace the ICE-wall, the evolver will get taken back deleting the beam cannons installed on the evolver.

Obviously, if the attacker is quick enough to replace the ICE-wall, the attack will go through. However, this is a skill learnt in higher levels as players learn from their mistakes so this method is still effective in lower levels.

Higher levels require higher level defences and many more choke points to increase the chances of the attacker's mistakes. More information on choke points here

Anti-
Shuriken + ICE-wall
"This offensive program spreads multiple attacks to all nearby enemy nodes"

Shuriken's lose their effectiveness in higher levels as their strengths don't match up compared to the beam cannon. It is also much more situational.

However, 2 shurikens + 1 ICE-wall is still an effective combo strategy in the lower stages. Usually, this combo will be placed on a highly congested node with a lot of things linked up to it. It can also be used to counter weak choke points.

Easiest way to counter this is to "unclump" unnecessary parts of your base. Here is an example of a nicely spread out base while keeping strong choke points to counter the beam cannon + ICE wall combo:

Another tip is to also unclump your core. Shurikens are really effective when they are placed on congested cores as they have 5 node connections. Limit the core to 3-4 connections and you should be fine.

Anti-
Worms
"Worms primary trait is that they multiply. Install one and you'll soon have many."

"Worms are so op!" Jeez, how many times have I heard that? They really aren't and definitely become rare to use in higher levels.

Anyways, worms are like the "clean-up crew" imo. Of course their op ability is to spread and multiply, but they are quite weak.

Code gates are an effective way of keeping worms out. With high level code gates, worms won't do a scratch of damage because of the code gate's small health regeneration and strong code strength defence.

For example, this guy tried to use worms, blaster and protector to get rid of my code gate:

30 seconds later, he realised that worms weren't working. So he switched it out for dual blasters. After a minute, my code gate still hasn't been broken. It just shows you how weak worms are when attacking high defence nodes like code gates:

Another way to fend off worms is using the choke point technique again. Worms don't deal enough damage to high firewall defences for it to be effective enough.

That being said, worms are extremely useful for when taking over "free" white nodes. Saves you a couple of beams

Anti-
Kraken
"Release the Kraken! Its monstrous tentacles come from netConnections and head straight towards the Core. The more tentacles join together, the stronger the Kraken is."

Okay, now seriously these guys can be quite powerful, especially in mid game level 15-30. At level 1, these guys can do 36 damage. When placing them on 3 netConnections, when they join up, they do 108 damage while only taking up one spot! Thats more damage than 7 level 1 beam cannons combined into one spot. And what's worse is that they spread - like worms, but they don't need to replicate.

But krakens have a trait that can be easily exploited through careful planning. They head straight to your core.

So an easy counter to this is to leave your core outside like this:
Of course, this would sacrifice your rep, but it completely nullifies the effectiveness of a kraken attack. You would normally do this if you value your resources more than your reputation.

Another strategy against this is to make the shortest route to your core guarded by defence nodes. The kraken will automatically take the shortest path and you can "chop off" the kraken's tentacles by taking back the kraken infected node using defence nodes. This will cut off all the tentacles that are ahead of the node.

Here's a simplified example of routing the kraken's attack and "chopping off" the kraken attacks:

The aqua lines are the kraken's attack path and will not target the two black defence as it heads straight for the core. The two defence nodes are then safe from the kraken's attack path and can take back the compiler and library if they are unprotected.

So with krakens, just make sure you know where the kraken's attack path is and use that to your advantage.

Anti-
Access + Data Leech/Portal
"An essential program for stealth hacking. Access opens connection to neighbor nodes and allows you to install the Data Leech, Portal and Wraith programs without raising an alarm immediately."
"This greedy malware speeds up the downloading of money, B-coins and Core databases. May be used even in stealth mode on nodes you have access to."
"Make a back door connection in stealth mode with the Portal program. A node with Portal installed becomes red. You may start your brute force attack from there."

Access and data leeches are cheap and fast to make and use stealth mode. This makes it a great farming attack strategy.
Portals take a long time to deploy but by using access, portals can be deployed towards the back of your base, skipping past most of your defences.

There are a couple ways to defend against stealth attacks.

Firstly, get a scanner and upgrade it fast. Having a scanner definitely helps with stealth attacks. A good high level scanner can completely shutdown attacks if the the attacker makes a small timing mistake. Scanners don't stop access programs.

Stealth attacks work by deploying stealth programs under visibility. When a stealth attack starts, the visibility bar starts at 0 and increases at a rate of 20visibility/sec. When the visibility bar reaches 3600, the stealth attack is over and the normal attack begins. Deploying certain programs will add to this visibility bar.

Example of the visibility bar. When the stealth attack starts, the bar starts at 0:

And ends at 3600:

Once it ends, it goes back to normal attack mode:

For example, level 1 data leech have a visibility of 28/s. This means that for every second the data leech is active (stealing money/b-coin) the bar gains 28 visibility. When the bar reaches 3600, the data leech and all other stealth programs are gone, deleted - and the stealth attack is finished.

As a defender, you want this bar to be raised as quickly as possible to limit the amount of stealth actions the attacker can do before the bar hits 3600.

Back to the scanner. The scanner has a multiplier e.g. 140%. When activity is detected 3 or less nodes away, the multiplier is added to the activity.

Using our example again with the 28/s data leech, if this is in range of a level 3 scanner with a multiplier of 140%, the data leech will now raise the bar 28 x 1.4/s. Which is 39.2/s.

So scanners make the visibility bar raise faster when it detects activity in range.

Secondly, place the scanner 3 nodes away from the nearest netConnection. This makes sure that the stealth programs get scanned right from the start of the stealth attack.

Here's an example of what I mean.
See how the end of the pink connections end at the node connected to the nearest netConnection?

Thirdly, upgrade your code gates and place them near your scanner for full effect. Code gate filters make it harder to put access programs on them. With a level 1 code gate, it has a filter of 75%. This makes access programs install 4x longer raising the visibility bar even higher. With a level 6 code gate, it has a filter of 80%, making the access program install 5x longer.

Here's some math to prove what code gates and scanners can do. Let's say we are trying to put one access program on 4 different things:
  • A normal node not in scanner range
  • A code gate not in scanner range
  • A normal node in scanner range
  • A code gate in scanner range

This is just using a level 1 access hack at 162 visibility per second
Passive visibility is 20v/s
  • A normal node: 162v/s x 1 second deploy = 162v + 20v (passive) = 182 visibility
  • A level 1 code gate: 162/s x 4 second deploy = 648 v + 80v = 728 visibility
  • A normal node in lvl4 scanner range: 162v/s x 1 second deploy x 150% multiplier = 243v + 20v (Note: scanner does not boost passive) = 263 visibility
  • A level 1 code gate in lvl4 scanner range: 162v/s x 4 second deploy x 150% multiplier = 1092v + 80v = 1172 visibility.

As you can see, by just using a lvl4 scanner and a lvl1 code gate, we can increase the visibility rate by almost x7 with one stealth program! This is all done by careful positioning of your stealth defences.

For portals, I find it's helpful to have two main groups of defences. First group as a choke point with about 1/3 of your defences + 1 sentry. Second group with the rest of your defences and storages. So if the attacker does manage to get to the back, you still have some defences at the back to fend off that portal.

It also helps to make sure that the attacker goes through ALL of your code gates. Code gates are just there to waste time, so make sure the attacker has to get through them to get to your defences/resources.
DON'T split your code gates. It may look nice, but going through one code gate is easier than getting through two

Jeez, this post took over 4 hours to make XD
Hope this helps you guys in some way! Feel free to talk about more counters to combos in the comments

EDIT: Added portals

Special thanks to the Hackers Wikia for the pictures and the quotes
Join the Hackers discord if you want to discuss more with me: https://discord.gg/qquYZ6H
Leave a comment if there's another hacking combo that is bothering you and I will update this post ASAP.
Last edited by Fluffington on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:13 am, edited 8 times in total.
Username: Fluffington
Level: 3 (25/6/17) Yes I restarted
Core: 2 (25/6/17)

Luminaar

Re: Specific anti-program designs

Postby Luminaar » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:28 am

Another awesome Sticky candidate - Great work Fluff!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

kingofsnipers

Postby kingofsnipers » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:37 am

Lel,tried to point out mistake,posted it and then noticed that I am retard :-D Math is good, as always excellent job.
Nice to have you as fellow hacker.
Level: 42
Rep: 350-450
I am noob, but tryhard :D

90skushkid

Postby 90skushkid » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:25 pm

fluff for prez
IGN - 90skushkid
Lvl 29
Core 7
REP 500-600
IP - south florida.

"Smoke That Kush!" "Smokin in my Wraith, Drinkin on some Worms"
:mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

Silken

Postby Silken » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:13 pm

Another decent guide. However, this one could be improved a bit, with tips and tricks on each section, for the attacker.

For example:
Ice Walls:
The trick to using Ice Wall well on choke points is to watch the tail going around the node. Along with watching the pink blast from the black ice. If the tail only has a small amount left, the pink black ice blast will take it out with the node to quickly follow. If you time it correctly you can replace the Wall at the same time it breaks. It takes practice, sometimes you double up on a wall for a second and have to replace a beam. But if you're playing well no need for the choke point node to fall. Most people I guess from replays either do neither or just watch the tail and not the black ice blaster.

Kraken:
The reason why Kraken fails at higher levels (yep they can fail) is because most people let them run ahead of unsecured nodes. Never try to keep up with a kraken. Let it race ahead, secure each node it takes by taking over the side nodes as you go along. Don't jump ahead and start placing Walls on each node a Kraken takes until you have secured the node before. If not you end up trying to protect about 5-6 nodes. And trust me, the result is not pretty.

Worms:
I dislike worms. But if you chase reputation always take one. Start it on the node furthest away from anything and forget about it. As you move through a base, remember to remove one program from each node you secure. Then the following worm will just tidy up after you and take sure nodes stay secure. That way you will always get all three objectives and not just the core and resources.
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o

90skushkid

Postby 90skushkid » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Silken wrote:Another decent guide. However, this one could be improved a bit, with tips and tricks on each section, for the attacker.

For example:
Ice Walls:
The trick to using Ice Wall well on choke points is to watch the tail going around the node. Along with watching the pink blast from the black ice. If the tail only has a small amount left, the pink black ice blast will take it out with the node to quickly follow. If you time it correctly you can replace the Wall at the same time it breaks. It takes practice, sometimes you double up on a wall for a second and have to replace a beam. But if you're playing well no need for the choke point node to fall. Most people I guess from replays either do neither or just watch the tail and not the black ice blaster.

Kraken:
The reason why Kraken fails at higher levels (yep they can fail) is because most people let them run ahead of unsecured nodes. Never try to keep up with a kraken. Let it race ahead, secure each node it takes by taking over the side nodes as you go along. Don't jump ahead and start placing Walls on each node a Kraken takes until you have secured the node before. If not you end up trying to protect about 5-6 nodes. And trust me, the result is not pretty.

Worms:
I dislike worms. But if you chase reputation always take one. Start it on the node furthest away from anything and forget about it. As you move through a base, remember to remove one program from each node you secure. Then the following worm will just tidy up after you and take sure nodes stay secure. That way you will always get all three objectives and not just the core and resources.

I would def say agree and put more stress on what you said about the kraken.

I highly stress the fact that keeping up with the kraken is no point and a waste of programs.

if my hacking rotation is revolving around kraken I def have more ice walls then anything with beams.
right now my limit on programs is 75, so I run 3 kraken, 2 blasters, 1 worm, 1 data leech (jus in case purposes) 7 ice walls, 4 shurikens, and the rest beams.

ice wall + shurikens is perfect for the choking points. once ice wall breaks or about to break buff up and put another one. by the time you notice the enemy nodes are about to pop red move on to the next. I love kraken right now and I specifically go for networks with their core far back. ashame when I watch replays and people try to take my network with kraken because its a waste.

kraken costs a lot of bcoins compared to beams n shit. but mainly the time it takes to make 3 krakens is like 24 minutes. so why waste the bcoins for a harder network to hack. smh.
IGN - 90skushkid
Lvl 29
Core 7
REP 500-600
IP - south florida.

"Smoke That Kush!" "Smokin in my Wraith, Drinkin on some Worms"
:mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

Fluffington

Postby Fluffington » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:50 pm

Silken wrote:Another decent guide. However, this one could be improved a bit, with tips and tricks on each section, for the attacker.
Thanks for the advice, but when I was making the guide, my main goal was to show the defence side of this game. I touched a little bit on the attacker side because of course you need to know the attack to know how to defend.

If I wanted to make a hacking attack guide, I would have posted it in the Hacking Strategies forum. But I myself don't think I am a very good attacker, so I just stuck to the defence side in this post. I'll try editing your thoughts in though tonight when I have more time.

Silken

Postby Silken » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:57 pm

Fluffington wrote:
Thanks for the advice, but when I was making the guide, my main goal was to show the defence side of this game. I touched a little bit on the attacker side because of course you need to know the attack to know how to defend.

If I wanted to make a hacking attack guide, I would have posted it in the Hacking Strategies forum. But I myself don't think I am a very good attacker, so I just stuck to the defence side in this post. I'll try editing your thoughts in though tonight when I have more time.

I realised that after I posted it. I briefly read it and didn't take in that it was more for defence.
Silken
Level - 54

Fluffington

Postby Fluffington » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:16 pm

Silken wrote:I realised that after I posted it. I briefly read it and didn't take in that it was more for defence.
Why else would it be in the network architecture section :D

Silken

Postby Silken » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:18 pm

Fluffington wrote:
Silken wrote:I realised that after I posted it. I briefly read it and didn't take in that it was more for defence.
Why else would it be in the network architecture section :D

I don't know.... :cry:
Silken
Level - 54