Choke points [GUIDE]

Best strategies of building your network
Fluffington
Location: Join the Hackers discord https://discord.gg/qquYZ6H

Choke points [GUIDE]

Postby Fluffington » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:43 am

What is a choke point?
A choke point is a defence mechanic that uses low firewall nodes to their maximum potential.

A choke point is giving a weak firewall node to the attacker to put his viruses on and linking that weak node to defence nodes. This allows the defence nodes to quickly take back the weak node and delete all the viruses on that node and making the attacker waste more viruses to take it back and move on.

Why do I need choke points?
It may take a bit of math and careful planning, but in the end, it does annoy the attacker if he/she is not careful and can help defend your resources and rep. Choke points take back weak infected nodes quickly and deletes all the viruses on that node.

Let's say someone tries to hack you with beam cannons and ICE walls. They get to a choke point with 3 attacking slots. They place down 2 beam cannons and a ICE wall. Your choke point quickly takes down that ICE wall and then if the hacker doesn't notice, that choke point can be taken back in less than a second - deleting those two remaining beam cannons. That's two beam cannons that need to be replaced!

Thus reducing the attack capability of the hacker and improving your chances of a successful defence.

How do I do make a choke point?
So I talked a lot about weak nodes and how they can easily be recaptured by defence nodes/antivirus nodes.

Some examples of weak nodes are:
(All firewall stats are at Level 1)
  • Evolver - 100 firewall
  • Compiler - 150 firewall
  • B-coin Mine/Server Farm - 150 firewall
  • Scanner - 180 firewall
  • Guardian - 250 firewall (This has 5 connection points which allow for more defence nodes)

Pair these up with 2 or more defence/high firewall nodes and you have yourself a choke point!

Bad choke point nodes are:
  • Black ICE - It has 5 program slots with only 4 connection points with a reasonably high firewall (350)
  • Core - This may seem funny but people think that you can "take back" the core because it has 5 connection points and you can attach defence nodes onto it. This doesn't work because the core has such a high firewall(300 but increases a lot as levels go by. At core 6, it already has a firewall of 1000!) and also has 5 program slots

Cool! Let's see some pictures!
Example of an early game choke point with two turrets on an evolver

Example of an early game choke point with a turret and a black ICE. Uses a compiler as a choke point

Example of using a scanner as a choke point

Example of using high firewall nodes as "defence" nodes. Note: I forgot to attach a sentry to the 3 storage's. You need an antivirus on the storage's for this to work

Example of using a guardian as a choke point. See how the attacker has to get past the heavily guarded guardian to get to the mixer?

Now there's a lot of controversy with using a guardian as a choke point. From what I've seen, here are the pros and cons of using a guardian as a choke point. Whether it's good or not, is up for you to decide
Pros
  • Has 5 node connections meaning that it can link up to 4 defence nodes (other node is the entry node)
  • Has relatively low firewall, which means it can be taken back quickly
  • It can provide shields to the defence nodes making it hard to take them out while being recaptured

Cons
  • Has 4 program slots. This allows for a stable combo of 2-3 beam cannons and 1-2 ICE walls or protectors. This would keep the guardian safe and difficult to recapture
  • Once secured with a protector, it can attack up to 4 other targets at it's own leisure

A bad example of a choke point. Don't use black ICE as choke points

Example of a base using these examples :)

Choke point 1 in the base using a guardian

Choke point 2 in the base using a scanner

Choke point 3 (and 4) in the base using high firewalls. Note: Again I forgot to attach a sentry to the databases and mixes. Sorry :P

EDIT: Silly photobucket went down and so did most of my pictures. Moved on to Imgur. Added pros and cons to guardian choke point

I hope this helps! Feel free to comment on any of my examples or explain the concept better. Thanks!
Last edited by Fluffington on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Username: Fluffington
Level: 3 (25/6/17) Yes I restarted
Core: 2 (25/6/17)

kingofsnipers

Re: Choke points

Postby kingofsnipers » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:56 am

Very very nice post man! Nice to see someone cares about the game so much.
Example of using high firewall nodes as "defence" nodes. Note: I forgot to attach a sentry to the 3 storage's. You need an antivirus on the storage's for this to work

But I was just thinking about those kind of chokepoints. I am in similar situation to shown on your whole base picture with Server Farm connected to two "choke points". So now I am thinking if keeping them as two seprate branches is good or if it isnt better to connect Bcoin mixers with Databases? Chokepoints stay same and bonus defense for mixers and farms by connecting to each other + still have place for one sentry.

I often see your version in the picture, but I think its more effective the latter version? Is there something I am forgetting?
Level: 42
Rep: 350-450
I am noob, but tryhard :D

Fluffington

Postby Fluffington » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:49 pm

kingofsnipers wrote:Very very nice post man! Nice to see someone cares about the game so much.

But I was just thinking about those kind of chokepoints. I am in similar situation to shown on your whole base picture with Server Farm connected to two "choke points". So now I am thinking if keeping them as two seprate branches is good or if it isnt better to connect Bcoin mixers with Databases? Chokepoints stay same and bonus defense for mixers and farms by connecting to each other + still have place for one sentry.

I often see your version in the picture, but I think its more effective the latter version? Is there something I am forgetting?
Ah I see what you mean. You want to use the extra connection slot in the databases/mixers to attach a sentry? This could work but I am quit skeptical about it. I'll do some math

Databases and mixers have high firewall compared to the server farms and b-coin mines. Heres a small comparison:
Databases and mixers vs server farms and b-coins
Level 1 - 200 vs 150
Level 5 - 315 vs 230
Level 10 - 550 vs 385

So it's clear that databases and mixers have more firewalls. But we need to consider the connection points as well ofc. So for databases and mixers, you would have 3/4 connections spots for "defence nodes" because 1 of the 4 connections is to actually get to the database/mixer. Same for the farms and mines. 2/3 connections for defence.

So keeping that in mind, here are the comparisons for how much each "defence node" needs to spread the antivirus. We want smaller values because it would be easier to retake.

Level 1 - 200/3 = 66 vs 150/2 = 75 Storages win
Level 5 - 105 vs 115 Storages win
Level 10 - 183 vs 192 Storages win

That's actually quite interesting. So data bases and mixers would make better choke points because they have that extra connection that makes all the difference.

But then, when the attacker is on the choke point, whether it be the storage or the mines, which would be easier? To take out the tanky storages? Or to take out weaker mines?

I guess you could counter that by putting storages behind storages but that makes it easy to take all your loot at once. So it becomes a matter of if you want to go all in or not. IMO I wouldn't do that. Currently, heres how I have mine.
I would like to put the database branch behind the sentry but that would put it too far from my net connection so that'll do for now.

Hope that helps! Not a bad idea though :)

goodking

Postby goodking » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:57 pm

Good guide, put that on wiki, it will be better.
Eventhough,i know everything already about them.

kingofsnipers

Postby kingofsnipers » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks for reply Fluffington, got me thinking lot more though :D
Love the diversity in this game, there are like tens of set ups that are rly good yet all very different, very good to see in game :D
Level: 42
Rep: 350-450
I am noob, but tryhard :D

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:30 pm

Great topic! Plenty of space for it on http://hackersthegame.wikia.com/wiki/Network_Layouts :)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Postby 1337 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:30 am

THANK YOU SOO MUCH. I posted my base on a screenshot, and legal said it needed a choke point. Now my base has one.
Level: ??
Last update: 3/17/17

Fluffington

Postby Fluffington » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:43 am

1337 wrote:THANK YOU SOO MUCH. I posted my base on a screenshot, and legal said it needed a choke point. Now my base has one.
Hahaha nws. I saw that the concept of choke points was being talked about in the forums, so I decided to make a topic explaining it

SniperK

Re: Choke points [GUIDE]

Postby SniperK » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:28 pm

Finished Reading.
Big thumbs up 8-)
:shock: Sorry if I've hacked you :shock: Wait no I'm not sorry at all 8-) You can hack me back

90skushkid

Re: Choke points [GUIDE]

Postby 90skushkid » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:16 pm

fluff for president.
IGN - 90skushkid
Lvl 29
Core 7
REP 500-600
IP - south florida.

"Smoke That Kush!" "Smokin in my Wraith, Drinkin on some Worms"
:mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: