Counter to Weak Guardian guarding high level targets? None?

Best strategies of building your network
Drelder

Counter to Weak Guardian guarding high level targets? None?

Postby Drelder » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:25 pm

Picture this set-up.

You are hacking deep into someone's network. You finally get to the end.

You see a Node(This is where you are at)--> Guardian (Level 1) connected to 4 other nodes (two Level 15 Mixer, two Level 15 Database).

Unfortunately, the Database and Mixers have Sentry programs. Fine.

You hack the level 1 Guardian done. However, the mixer and database have HIGH firewall, and HIGH sentry program. You have 0.5 seconds before the Guardian is overwhelmed because if all the mixers and database fire off its sentry, it will be overwhelmed in 1 shot. What is your counter? You don't even have time to install a shocker program because install time is 0.5s.

===

I have seen a similar setup in creating the following choke point.

(node) -> Level 1 Scanner --> Behind are two level 10+ turret. Once you overwhelm the scanner, you have 0.5 seconds before the two high level turrets FIRE everything.... Any counters?

===

Silken

Re: Counter to Weak Guardian guarding high level targets? None?

Postby Silken » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:31 pm

Install time is 0.5's. But I'm pretty sure that attack time on sentry's are 1 sec. So shocker should still work. But still not a lot of time. I think it was why turrets where moved to 0.5's.

I assume the counter is stealth and taking out the sentry before it can spread. Since the Mixer and Database are at the end and then Guardian, worst case the sentry is next. So you would either need to stealth in 6 places and Wraith. Or portal in and take out the sentry in less than 20's.

TBH, keeping some nodes artificially low is a tactic I use as well, although I'm only level 21. It is funny when people run out of shields. :D
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o

LadTy

Postby LadTy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:31 am

Thanks for the input on these issues, it's really important for sure.
Anyway - yes due to these strategies we introduced delay on Turrets. Regarding the guardian+sentry program around, I think it's not an issue, the cadency of sentry antivirus is not as high as Shocker's install time. Usually you would install shocker, it would fire and disable the nodes, and even if that node you installed Shocker at would be retaken, you have probably 4-6s to retake the node and install something on it again, quite normal (hectic) situation tbh. But if it's a choke point, it's only one place you have to focus at at that time so it's not really that hard. In 0.5 you can also install ICE to hold off the first attacks.
The only problem would be if the shocker/ICE could not be installed in time, I do not think that is the case now though. We will keep an eye out for this, but I think you cannot create fully blocking choke point this way. If you have any replay that would say otherwise let us know and we'll revisit obviously, but from my experiments now, the delay before the 1st shot is long enough as well as the packet's travel time on top of it.
11100000111O10000000001O10000000001O00010001000O00000100000O00000010000O00001000000O00010000000O10000000001O10000000001O11100000111

samgyeop

Postby samgyeop » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:40 am

I dont find this op as I'm able to break other people's set up thats like this. You either have a really high level ICE-WALL that can last you and take out the def with 3 beams or just replenish the ICE-WALL maybe 2-3 times until it takes over the def.

It's also the same setup with scanner / def or evolver / def.

CerberusArc

Postby CerberusArc » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:13 am

Perhaps you just need to tap faster. :D

Inseriousness tho, the stealth idea is not bad. It costs a crap load to perform a stealth strike AND hack, but sometimes that's just how you got to break it.

Flash

Postby Flash » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Hi Drelder. Nice description of my base :)

Even though I got these "choke points" in my base, it's still hackable. The key is to be fast and use Shocker, then ICE wall and you are fine. You already successfully hacked me few times, but now I finished my Core lvl 11 and rebuild my base a little, so new challenge awaits you! :) It's definitely not the final architecture I wanna achieve. (but I need more nodes. At core lvl 12 it's gonna be quite close to my idea of perfect base ;) ).

BTW you are one of a few that actually successfully hacked me. GZ!

Drelder

Postby Drelder » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:31 am

Hey Flash,

Yeah, I am just a copier. I just copy your base so that I can watch people beat it and I can learn from it. However, I can't copy your base entirely because your guardian is low level and my guardian is higher level. Can't re-spec...so it's inexact.

But people are correct. It comes down to timing.

But now you've changed your base and I don't think I have the tools to hack it anymore. LOL.