Scanner dont work really?

Best strategies of building your network
SidEwigk

Scanner dont work really?

Postby SidEwigk » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:39 pm

Hi,
i have 2 lvl 21scanner in my Network. But many Times when other Players use the Access Programm on lvl 17 ore higher, they allways pass my scanner and the effect of the scanner is going to 0 (it feels like so^^)
Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong ore is this a "bug"?
Thx for help

https://youtu.be/GJEfsuzWKJQ

Here a Video from a attack

Luminaar

Re: Scanner dont work really?

Postby Luminaar » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Hmm, I can't check the video as it shows as "unavailable" - video privacy settings, or a regional thing? :(

What I can tell you is that a Level 21 Scanner should still be making a reasonable dent on visibility versus a Level 17 Access program. Assuming the Scanner is in range of the node being accessed, the Access program should be taking ~363 visibility to install. With no Code Gate's in the way, this level Access would eventually be able to sneak past both your Scanners with visibility to spare.

Without viewing the video, I can't comment too much more. Apart from an old bug which existed which prevented two adjacent Scanners from working correctly, Scanners are correctly increasing the cost of the Access program by the amounts stated.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

SidEwigk

Postby SidEwigk » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:28 pm

[/size]Maybe try it now to view.
Actually i have 2 scanners in range of the other, but its only a test. When they out of range of the other scanner it dont works so good like im think about it :-(
Here a Pic of the normally scanner positions:
https://ibb.co/gWYQBc

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:22 pm

SidEwigk wrote:[/size]Maybe try it now to view.
Actually i have 2 scanners in range of the other, but its only a test. When they out of range of the other scanner it dont works so good like im think about it :-(
Here a Pic of the normally scanner positions:
https://ibb.co/gWYQBc
Video works now, cheers.

So yeah, Scanners are working as intended. With no Scanners against the programs that were used successfully (9 Access, 3 Wraith,) optimal time would be 888 visibility. I checked this step by step, and every Access and Wraith placement seems fine.

While level 21 Scanners don't stop a high level stealth user dead in their tracks, they do force an attacker to have a much larger outlay before attempting a hack. With the programs that were used (and not counting the missed Portal), the attacker spent 9450 B-coins (and 20 minutes of compile time) just to prepare the opening attack!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

SidEwigk

Postby SidEwigk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:00 am

Hm so you say i can have high lvl Scanners but it is dont mind/nessesary, because any high lvl programm can pass it. Only the reason of hogh cost for the attacker is to justify to lvl the scanner?

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:24 pm

SidEwigk wrote:Hm so you say i can have high lvl Scanners but it is dont mind/nessesary, because any high lvl programm can pass it. Only the reason of hogh cost for the attacker is to justify to lvl the scanner?
Not exactly. :)

The above statement is true in your specific case, as a stealth attacker can take a single path through your network to stop all of your Sentries from spreading. Additionally, your Scanners only cover 7 out of the 9 reach required to do so, although in reality, an attacker could stop at the Black ICE (even if it wasn't upgrading and wasn't required this time!)

A common misconception is that a Scanner should stop a stealth attack "simply because it's a Scanner". There are many more contributing factors to defending against stealth however, including - but not limited to - Scanner placement, number/placement of Sentries, ability for Sentry AV to spread, number of preceeding Code Gates.

Increasing the number of Code Gates a player has to stealth through before reaching the remainder of the network is a simple solution to increase the effectiveness of your Scanners. There are many other options that can be considered however. :)

SidEwigk

Postby SidEwigk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:34 pm

Thx for your help.
I think i understand what you mean. But anything else, i dont like it^^ For me, the scanner musst work more effectly than at the moment. Shure i know that code gates ore other nodes make the scanner a little bit more effetive...hm i hope i find a way to defend my Network a little bit better than this moment ;-)