Defend Gates or scanner as choke point?

Best strategies of building your network
vinyl5001

Defend Gates or scanner as choke point?

Postby vinyl5001 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 am

Screenshot: https://prnt.sc/g69ecb

Need help with configuring defences here, my questions here:
1) I think scanner as a choke point is the best decision but maybe there is better way to link it all together. Any suggestion appreciated
2) I thought about placing some 3slot node before one of Code Gates and putting pressure on it. Problem here is that I have only 1 sentry left here and 9 steps rule also needs to be done. Maybe I could sacrifice one or two farms here, as I have 3 both types. Need help with this too.

So, waiting for suggestions, thank you.
CORE 7 LVL
25 LVL
REP 500+
In-game: Frol

vinyl5001

Re: Defend Gates or scanner as choke point?

Postby vinyl5001 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:04 am

Think that's slightly more effective, still waiting for advices

http://prntscr.com/g69lqu
CORE 7 LVL
25 LVL
REP 500+

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:59 am

Second pic is better, as your turret was being wasted in the first one.

Disconnect your Sentry from the Code Gate, otherwise you're letting people brute force the first Code Gate down with 7 program slots from the combined Sentry and Library.

For the choke point, disconnect the security nodes from each other. That way when an attacker captures the first security node, he has to go through your Guardian before he'll be able to attack the other two security nodes from multiple sides. Your turrets won't change targets if an attacker maintains control of the Scanner, and your antivirus (Sentries) is too weak to recapture those security nodes by itself, so keeping them connected together makes the security cluster weaker.

Upgrade your Scanner so people can't just Wraith your Gates and then Portal on your Core. An adequately upgraded Scanner will have too much firewall to remain an optimal choke point, so get a second Scanner (upgrading your Core if necessary) and leave it at level 1 for a choke point. Move your Gates closer to your netConnections so your first turret isn't skip-able with Wraith+Portal. Personal preference here: I don't upgrade my Code Gates until I have at least three of them and a decent Scanner. The first two Gates in a network have to be sacrificed to Wraiths to prevent stealth and stealth-hybrid attacks from compromising the rest of the defenses beyond those Gates. Upgrading a Code Gate doesn't help at all against Wraiths. I see all these people with 2 gold Gates at the front of their network and just shake my head... and proceed to Wraith them with level 1 Access and level 1 Wraith.

Start upgrading the Sentry in the back of your network (just one of your Sentries). Level 16 (gold body) is when a level 1 Scanner choke will be recaptured with just one hit of AV.

And now for the parts you're not going to like:

Stop upgrading your farms/mixers. They're inflating your level and you have to know _exactly_ what you're doing for a pure farm build to be viable, and even then it will stop being viable around level 50, because by that point everyone can hack everyone. The strategy is to steal as much as you can in 3 hours (the time you remain immune to being hacked) and then spend it. You have too many farms already, since they could be replaced with defense nodes. Two farms at level 21 are more useful than 6 farms at level 15.

Move your farms forward, perhaps among your security nodes to add more firewall, antivirus, and make the network more confusing for attackers. Log in every hour or so to collect the money your farms have generated - keeping them low so attackers who don't make it to the back of your network steal very little from you. Move all upgraded Databases and B-Coin Mixers to the very back of your network. I specify "upgraded" because level 1 Databases/Mixers make good choke points, just like a level 1 Scanner.

Until you have stronger Kraken defenses, move your Core to the middle or the front of your network. But don't leave it completely by itself, you can use its high attack priority and high firewall to stall attackers.
Hell_Diguner - C12L34, Had C12L29 (world record), soon to be a Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C10L28, Maniac+Worms main
CaptainDavyJones - C10L27, Beams main, will eventually be Kraken main

vinyl5001

Postby vinyl5001 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Hell_Diguner wrote:Second pic is better, as your turret was being wasted in the first one.

Disconnect your Sentry from the Code Gate, otherwise you're letting people brute force the first Code Gate down with 7 program slots from the combined Sentry and Library.

For the choke point, disconnect the security nodes from each other. That way when an attacker captures the first security node, he has to go through your Guardian before he'll be able to attack the other two security nodes from multiple sides. Your turrets won't change targets if an attacker maintains control of the Scanner, and your antivirus (Sentries) is too weak to recapture those security nodes by itself, so keeping them connected together makes the security cluster weaker.

Upgrade your Scanner so people can't just Wraith your Gates and then Portal on your Core. An adequately upgraded Scanner will have too much firewall to remain an optimal choke point, so get a second Scanner (upgrading your Core if necessary) and leave it at level 1 for a choke point. Move your Gates closer to your netConnections so your first turret isn't skip-able with Wraith+Portal. Personal preference here: I don't upgrade my Code Gates until I have at least three of them and a decent Scanner. The first two Gates in a network have to be sacrificed to Wraiths to prevent stealth and stealth-hybrid attacks from compromising the rest of the defenses beyond those Gates. Upgrading a Code Gate doesn't help at all against Wraiths. I see all these people with 2 gold Gates at the front of their network and just shake my head... and proceed to Wraith them with level 1 Access and level 1 Wraith.

Start upgrading the Sentry in the back of your network (just one of your Sentries). Level 16 (gold body) is when a level 1 Scanner choke will be recaptured with just one hit of AV.

And now for the parts you're not going to like:

Stop upgrading your farms/mixers. They're inflating your level and you have to know _exactly_ what you're doing for a pure farm build to be viable, and even then it will stop being viable around level 50, because by that point everyone can hack everyone. The strategy is to steal as much as you can in 3 hours (the time you remain immune to being hacked) and then spend it. You have too many farms already, since they could be replaced with defense nodes. Two farms at level 21 are more useful than 6 farms at level 15.

Move your farms forward, perhaps among your security nodes to add more firewall, antivirus, and make the network more confusing for attackers. Log in every hour or so to collect the money your farms have generated - keeping them low so attackers who don't make it to the back of your network steal very little from you. Move all upgraded Databases and B-Coin Mixers to the very back of your network. I specify "upgraded" because level 1 Databases/Mixers make good choke points, just like a level 1 Scanner.

Until you have stronger Kraken defenses, move your Core to the middle or the front of your network. But don't leave it completely by itself, you can use its high attack priority and high firewall to stall attackers.

I cut a few connections and added some defence.

http://prntscr.com/g6uwop

How's that? Also, now I still have 1 more node left. I think scanner is better than sentry or some farm, so I can replace choke point database with scanner, am I right?
CORE 7 LVL
25 LVL
REP 500+

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:29 pm

I have a feeling you didn't read half of my advice :|

Move all upgraded Databases and B-Coin Mixers to the very back of your network. Definitely replace that database at the front of your network with a scanner, because right now you're giving attackers 50% of your stored $ for free. The money attackers would steal from a level 1 Database is trivial, but an upgraded database is a different story entirely.

Move your Code Gates closer to your netConnections so your first group of defense nodes isn't skip-able with stealth programs. Start upgrading one of your Scanners so people can't defeat most of your defenses with stealth programs. More on stealth programs here

Start upgrading one of your Sentries since every part of your network becomes harder to capture as your Sentry's antivirus becomes stronger.

Stop upgrading your farms/mixers. Move them forward, among your security nodes to add more firewall, antivirus, and make the network more confusing for attackers. Log in every hour or so to collect the money your farms have generated - keeping them low so attackers who don't make it to your Databases/Mixers steal very little from you.

Hell_Diguner - C12L34, Had C12L29 (world record), soon to be a Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C10L28, Maniac+Worms main
CaptainDavyJones - C10L27, Beams main, will eventually be Kraken main