I overleveled with farms and mines, HALP

Best strategies of building your network
Rubbermancer

I overleveled with farms and mines, HALP

Postby Rubbermancer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:10 am

So I kind of feel stuck with these lv 20+ farms and mines. Due to my hectic schedule, they do bring in marginally more income than my hacking (about 60:40), but defence-wise, it's really a subpar setup. I keep jumping up over the 750 rep line, and I keep getting smacked back down.

I'd love some criticisms of my defence, and some ideas that would still allow me to farm a fair bit during my inactive periods. Is it at all possible to maintain a bit of farming in the next rank? Or is competition simply too stiff?

My defence strategy

Stealth: My single high-lv scanner reaches all 3 code gates and the antivirus. I've never seen an attacker wraith the lv 9 code gate in front of it, let alone the actual scanner. They seem to prefer to go after the av, and most of the time it doesn't work. I'm pretty happy with my stealth, but it is on my upgrade list.
Timewaster 1: From the closest program library, you're forced to attack the higher-firewall 2nd program library before the evolver.
Timewaster 2: You have to hit the core before the scanner.
Choke 1: The scanner is met by a lv 1 turret, a lv 1 black ice, and a lv 9 code gate. When I bring my AV from lv 14 to 15, this will be a one-shot choke even discounting the black ice's inherent attack.
Chokes 2/3: The black ice and turrets are choke points in their own right. The idea here is to divide the attacker's attention between 3 adjacent choke points, but I need much stronger turrets and av for it to work. Even with 3 turrets and AV on it, I don't like this bit, because I see attackers take advantage of the high slot numbers and lay down ice walls and protectors quickly here without sacrificing attack power. A second lv 1 turret would probably be better than the black ice? Or maybe I just need more guardian power behind the high level turrets?
Choke 4: The lv 1 guardian seems to work ok so far. It doubles as a timewaster, as the attacker is forced to hit the lv 9 code gate before the lv 7 code gate that guards my resources. (As I mentioned earlier, nobody seems to want to wraith the lv 9 code gate, so I'm quite happy with this trick.) I've seen several attackers underestimate the black ice and lose 2 rams here.
Chokes 5/6: The lower-lv database and b-coin mixer currently function as choke points for the higher-level mixer, database, mines and farms clustered around them. Attack priority goes for the mixer first, which keeps my money hoard safe for longer (minor timewaster, but every little bit counts).

So I'm not sure where to go from here. Thoughts?

Screenshot_20171209-234014.jpg
Screenshot_20171209-234014.jpg (63.63 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

Luminaar

Re: I overleveled with farms and mines, HALP

Postby Luminaar » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Rubbermancer wrote:So I kind of feel stuck with these lv 20+ farms and mines. Due to my hectic schedule, they do bring in marginally more income than my hacking (about 60:40) ...
Having a hectic schedule is certainly a dampener to progress, but having resource generators instead of "active defences" is still the most profitable path if you're finding yoruself short on time at the moment.

While there's definitely an argument for having more "solid defences" such as Turrets and Black ICE's, a presence of this to attacking players, in addition to having minimal resources yourself (assuming your schedule doesn't give you time to loot the resources instead of auto-generate them) results in both zero opportunity costs (as no one attacks your network) as well as zero resources gained from you not having time to perform a hack yourself. In contrast to this, and on top of the 60:40 overall gain, a hidden value of resource generators is in the number of additional retraces you get to take advantage of. While they don't always pan out as expected, they do provide additional opportunities to recoup some of the value stolen from you - and sometimes more than what was taken. ;)
Rubbermancer wrote:... but defence-wise, it's really a subpar setup.
It's a common misconception, but having additional security nodes in place of resource generators doesn't instantly turn your network from a "walk in the park" into "Fort Knox" - each security node merely makes your network "a bit tougher" ... and only then if you utilise the nodes well. Having a single over-leveled Sentry can make an insane difference to the overall strength of a network, resource and security nodes alike.

I'm not gonna comment on the network itself - I'll leave that to more expertised reviewers - but since you asked for ideas to help you during inactive periods, I will mention that high resource generators in conjunction with 9SEC shields work together super well in turning that 60:40 into 100:0 for a while, and can certainly provide a massive chunk of help towards securing a huge defensive - or offensive - upgrade.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

zyxemman

Postby zyxemman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:10 am

that's somehow bad/... try to make your reputation 0 ... happy loots, then max out sentry
In-game name: Paradox
Current rep: 0
Highest rep: 1500+

Rubbermancer

Postby Rubbermancer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Good call on judicious use of 9sec shields! Also, I love the 0 rep idea. I guess this is why I've seen some peeps hit my network with 1 beam cannon. I thought it was just a lure.

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:55 am

Your first two gates can be Wraithed with level 1 stealth, completely negating all the money you put into upgrading them. Or your first gate and your Sentry can be Wraithed with level 4 stealth. You're not being hit by stealth because stealth is expensive, takes a long time to compile, and people don't need it to crack your network. People could, if they wanted to, but it's cheaper and faster (in terms of compilation time) to just use brute force all the way.

It's best to use low level code gates at the front of your network. That way if they ARE wraithed, it's not much of a loss. You don't need to upgrade your Scanner much if you just put two code gates at the front of your network (this standard practice). Eg: netConnection - Code Gate - Code Gate - Scanner - Rest of your network. With two Gates at the front, a level 10 Scanner is sufficient to prevent level 1 stealth from Wraithing anything beyond the Scanner. See my stealth attacks guide if you want to learn how to run the numbers yourself.

Timewaster 2 is ineffective if they just use a level 1 Shuriken to skip your Core

Choke 1 is ineffective because beams cannons attack the low level turret and black ice before they will attack the Code Gate. By simply securing those nodes with a shocker or some protectors, the Scanner is only attacked by antivirus from the Code gate.

Chokes 2/3 are extremely ineffective because you've given attackers 9 :o program slots to attack those three turrets. Nothing, not even Triple Guardian Cores can withstand that kind of firepower.

Another big issue with chokes 1-3 is you've given attackers two ways they can break your defense if they don't care about 100%-ing your network. They can choose to break your Code Gate and ignore your Turrets entirely, or break your Turrets and ignore your Code Gate. They're free to choose whichever method is easier for them. You don't want this. You want to force people to go through every last bit of your defense to reach your storages

Choke 4 is sub-optimal since not every node connected to the Guardian is a high level defense node that can bring a lot of firepower to bear. The entire point of Guardian chokes is to bring so much firepower to bear, Protectors melt too quickly to be viable - thus forcing your attacker to use Shockers. Guardian chokes are typically not a good choice for stall chokes that use Code Gates, since Guardians have 4 program slots

You have the right idea in choke 5 and 6, though level 1 DB or Mixers are better.

---

If at all possible, it's better to put your farms and mines in among your other defenses to provide extra stall and AV distribution. The idea is you log in every hour or two and collect the money they generate - moving it to the storage at the back of your network. This way your storages are more well protected than before, attackers won't steal much of your money if they don't capture your storage since your mines/farms are usually dry, and you still don't have to spend a lot of time hacking other people to get money. When you have a moment, you can just open the game, collect the money, and close it again.
Hell_Diguner - C12L39, Had C12L29 (world record), Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C12L38, Worms+Maniac main
CaptainDavyJones - C12L39, Beams main, will eventually be Kraken main

Rubbermancer

Postby Rubbermancer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 pm

You have some excellent points! I'm kicking myself for overleveling that first code gate. A lv1 code gate will be my first purchase next core upgrade. And I'm definitely going to have a good, long think about chokes 1-3.

Another big issue with chokes 1-3 is you've given attackers two ways they can break your defense if they don't care about 100%-ing your network. They can choose to break your Code Gate and ignore your Turrets entirely, or break your Turrets and ignore your Code Gate. They're free to choose whichever method is easier for them. You don't want this. You want to force people to go through every last bit of your defense to reach your storages

I find that this isn't the case, though. Most people ignore the code gate, and it's 1 level higher than my furthest code gate, meaning they have to deal with it anyway when they reach the guardian choke. But again, as you said, this isn't optimal, because it sacrifices a place that could go to an attack node on the guardian. So at this point I might just digest all of these pointers, click rebuild, and see what I come up with. You've been a huge help, I appreciate it!

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:22 am

If I was to hack your network, I'd go through the turrets. 9 program slots makes this easy, and the attack priorities are convenient for this approach. Plus when I reach the guardian choke, I can use one Ram to break 2 Code Gates, which is great since Rams take 10 minutes to compile.

When I say 'my' programs, I mean the programs I'm using on my level 27 alt account. On my first account, which is closer to your level, I can just use I can just use brute force to break the gates. You've upgraded your mines too much to make a network that is super-challenging to break for people who focused on upgrading their offense. You can, however, make it a lot harder to defeat, so not just anybody can hack you. Those upgraded farms and mines have one redeeming defensive feature: a not insignificant firewall. That's why I suggest incorporating them into your defense, though that's not as viable a strategy if you only collect the money they generate every two or three days.
Hell_Diguner - C12L39, Had C12L29 (world record), Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C12L38, Worms+Maniac main
CaptainDavyJones - C12L39, Beams main, will eventually be Kraken main

Rubbermancer

Postby Rubbermancer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 am

Yeah, I should be able to farm them a few times a day even when I don't have time to hack, it doesn't take much time. I'll definitely spread them out when I rebuild.

Nicodemus

Postby Nicodemus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:56 pm

Focus on levelling your sentry. Once you've got that near max then every node is effectively a turret. Combine that with a well thought out layout and you'll have more luck. No base is unhackable though.